In esa support group will it stop if pip application is unsuccessful?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

This is my first post here, just wondering if anyone knows what happens to esa if I apply for pip but get turned down? I have been struggling for years with health problems and was told in 2004 I should apply for dla but at the time I didn't. I have been extremely unwell since oct 2014 and had to take a career break. I was placed in the support group of esa last November after a face to face assessment, but cannot find any paperwork that says how long for? I applied for dla in may 2013 but was unsuccessful. However since Oct 2014 I have become a lot worse. I just worry in case I am unsuccessful again for pip and then my esa could be stopped? I have spoken to my gp this time about applying for it but that was in July and I haven't rung dwp yet to start the process.

Thanks for any thoughts

x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There should be no connection with PIP and ESA. However having said that the DWP are actively intending to use an assessment report for one to consider another. 

Have you had a look at the descriptors that make up PIP? Where do you fit in with those descriptors? How many points do you think realisticly you would get?

If you are of the opinion that you would qualify under enough descriptors and gain enough points then apply.

You have to understand how PIP works so if I was you I would read up on what type of evidence you would need, how you would need to put over your 'story'.

There are some charities out there that can help, but I have found that the quality of advice and help is a bit hit or miss depending on where you live.

I would do a bit of research first so that you can understand the process.  

• Posted

Hello Rose

New here myself , we have to start somewhere

Anyway ....as Les clearly put there is supposedly NO connection

But the are startibg to cross reference information

(which makes me wonder why the cannot just look at the evidence we supply previously)

Anyway don't worry too much ....if you get stuck theres loads of usefull advise and helpfull folk on here

• Posted

There is no link between ESA and PIP as there used to be with DLA.  In the past, if you were on the higher rate of DLA care component, you automatically went into the support group of ESA.  This stopped a number of years ago when the DWP introduced a seperate test for the ESA support group.  The only thing I would say is that he DWP do share information on different benefits so they may share any supporting evidence for PIP with your ESA claim and vice versa, but the descriptors for the two benefits are completely different.
    • Posted

I know it's 15 points two get esa do you know how many points to get in the support group 

• Posted

Hi all,

Thank you for your help.

I have contacted citizens advice and left details asking for some advice I think from what ive read its better to have some help with filling in the form.

I've had a very bad day with fatigue and can't think straight but wanted to thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I'll keep in touch.

Take care

R

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.