In hospital

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've been suffering for months changed my life,become as recluse . Cannot walk ,lay down sit.. all I do is wait for next pill time ..Not drove my car for months , finally had an MRI after months of waiting then get an op date 11 aug yes omg

Pre op 26 July ,I've gone worse over last week ..Explained to nurse at pre op next minute Dr comes admitted me this needs sorting , waited all day for new scan and bed ..Finally 8 hrs later get a bed my mother and daughter look shattered so I send them home ..Have scan 11 at night been nill by mouth since 11, in morning get back to room then Dr comes no surgery tonight ,will be tomorrow..

Next morning I'm screaming in agony still as not the same as home were you have your own little routine ..

Dr comes ..Well looked at scan not much change since last time ,still very tight and obviously need of surgery but we feel u can go home and come back to it due date !!!!

Are you serious !! I cried omg you can't do this ..

He just looked at me and said just continue your pain relief I understand this can be painful but not long to wait ! With that of he walked ..

I wish there and then I could of said ok here try live with this for 24, hrs you B_ _ _ _ _ _ d

So here I wait my daughter doing a 2hr drive to get me then I have to endure 2 HR drive of pure agony back home ..

These Dr just think oh yes Siattica a couple of crushed nerves Wats the problem ..

It's disscusting ,so of I go home and wait for the 11, of aug ...You couldn't make it up the last 24 hrs I've had ...

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm not sure that I have any particularly useful advice but just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone with this. I have gone through hell with sciatica with three major flare ups in the past six years that have required hospitalisation. I have recently been suffering such agony despite being on Lyrica plus other meds. I went to take my family for a holiday and I flew as I can't travel by car. Admitedly I was already in pretty bad shape pain wise. I was  meant to have a one hour flight with Easyjet, no hastle. This turned into a seven hour delay where they made me walk from gate 9 to 30 in agony and then cancelled the flight. I then waited in the customer services queue (I was right at the back due to walking being a nightmare) for three hours which I was standing. Then transferred to Gatwick (which was also delayed by two hours) I had to get a taxi to Stanstead and then a lift home to by parents, I arrived at 4.30am.

As a result my pain went through the roof couldn't speak, sleep or eat. So two days later I was admitted to hospital, my bladder wasn't emptying and I was losing all sensation in my saddle area, leg and foot. I was scanned for the seventh time now in a flat scanner to be told that my minor central disc prolapse hadn't worsened. So they gave me every drug under the sun and doubled all my meds including increasing Lyrica by 150mg and adding morphine and diazipam into the mix. When I saw the consultant he couldn't believe I was lucid.

The pain improved and they sent me home. I went for a weight bearing MRI in London a week later and it cost £1500. It shows that when I am standing my disc bulge is much worse and I have no fluid in L5S1 disc it is like a thin line on the scan through DDD in three levels. My facet joints are now showing wear and tear which is hardly suprising as the problem has been going on for six years now.

My pain is better now due to the huge amount of meds but my mental suffering is great. I was unable to wrap up my sons Birthday presents as it was mentally beyond me. I feel like giving up, I am so sick of having to deal with all this. I am to see my Doctor again tomorrow although she isn't really supportive as I'm not a problem that she can solve. I'm going to insist that they refer me back to the spinal team with the new MRI eveidence, but I think I will have to fight for this or pay to go privately and get into more debt.

I lay on the bed today crying all day, my son is four came and tried to make me stop. I cannot be a Mum, cannot work as a teacher (which is a job I love) and my relationship is now really suffering. I don't know how to go on any more, it's like I've had to try and come back from this too many times.

I totally understand your anger and wher you're coming from it is a five hour journey to our nearest hospital and travelling by car is unbearable. Forgive me for my rant, your post really touched me. Why won't these doctors and consultants listen.

Hope you get some pain relief.

All the best

Helen

• Posted

Hi Helen

I also had a problem empting my bladder only going 1 or 2 times day ..

I feel for you , my relationship ended last year because of the stress of it all ..

My problem is L4 L5 being crushed

But cannot believe they sent me home, I can barely look after my self ,living in leggings and a t shirt no shoes

I don't know how your coping looking after little one ..

I'm counting the days now till the 11, my family cannot believe it that they sent me home ..

If I had the money I'd pay private just to get my life back ..

To wake up pain free omg cannot wait ..

You can rant all you want to me I totally understand ..

Sending hugs mimm

• Posted

Hi,

I cannot believe they sent you home  without adequate pain relief. At the hospital I was referred they wouldn't send me home until the pain was bearable and I had someone to help me as well as physio being happy I could do stairs with crutches. I can't wear shoes either at the moment; it's so ridiculous! I have been referred back into the system; told nine months to see Orthopeadics who will send me to spinal another long wait. I have booked a private consultation with a neuro-surgeon on the 8th which will cost me. I cannot afford to be off work any longer, I'm the breadwinner in our house. Ok with the little ones as my hubby is at home, I've even thought about a second mortgage to have the operation if I have to wait endlessly on the NHS.

What I don't understand is that every time I'm referred it's as a new case; this is the same problem for six years!! Verrrrrry frustrating. I will think about you on the 11th, hope it all goes well.

Hugs to you too

Helen

• Posted

Hi, I read your post and felt like crying. It was like you

were talking about my life. I have bilateral sciatica for just

over 12 months. I can not function. I cannot sit down or

Lay down. I feel as if every day it's getting worse. I am

struggling to walk.

I am the bread winner in my house. I love my job but I feel

It is at risk. The drugs I take make me dizzy and spaced out

and as I have to deal with a lot of money, it's a major

Problem trying to concentrate.

I can't remember what it was like before, when I was pain

Free. I look at people Just going about their day and I

Feel bitter that they have what I want.

I have been to some dark places this past year. My GP just

Gives me or sorts of pain killers. None of them work. I now

Have to wait to go to the musculoskeletal clinic to find the

cause. I think they believe that it is Piriformis Syndrome.

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy in December last year

Which inflamed my nerve pain. The Hospital gives me

Paracetamol and sends me back to the GP.

Ha Iast time I went on had to use a stick.

I feel useless and. Incredibly sad. I miss the person I used

to be.

Sorry for such a long reply. I hope we find some relief. 💜

• Posted

Hi Kelly

I too feel angry and bitter when I see everyone just getting on with there life ,I have been pushed in a very dark place ..

I feel like a shadow of my former self ,I have lost a over a stone on weight ,my eyes are so dark as I catch 20 minutes sleep here and there

I spend 24 hrs from adjust myself trying to sit ,pull my self up ,lay down ,when I go to pull myself up I'm more or less on my toes I have to struggle to flatten my feet the pain is just getting worse , it's in my bum ,my back now it's even tight in my stomach ..

Next week is my op ..

I'm just counting the hours ,,

I too can't remember the pain free life ,going to bed and just sleeping ..

I want my life back ..

I want DRS to realise how painful and life destroying this is ..

I hope you have the help you need .. Paracetamol will not do anything about t all ,you need to go to the Dr and get something alot stronger. .

You or anyone who feels they get to a point of severe depression message me ,only people going through this can understand the level of pain and depression. .I'm here to help anyone . .

Don't be alone with your thoughts and pain ..

Mimm x

• Posted

so painful want my life back aswell 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.