In Limbo

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 2 months ago, I started having vertigo, tinnitus and trouble with my balance. MRI and VNG were normal. I started VRT. It's helped a little. After 6 weeks, I can drive once again but still feel off balance when I move around too much or I'm very active.

My primary care passed the issue to my neurologist, who said it will go away and prescribed an antidepressant...which has made me feel awful and not helped one bit.

Had my hearing tested a couple days ago. Hearing was good, but the doctor noticed a difference when she tested how my tympanic membranes respond to pressure. She said she's not a medical doctor, but she suspects Méniér's. My physical therapist made the same suggestion.

So, I guess my next visit will be to an ENT, hopefully soon. Despite tests, therapy and time, whatever this is isn't going away.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thank you for your time

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

How long were the virtigo attacks and how many times did they occur? If your vng was normal I doubt it's menieres

• Posted

The VNG was done nearly a month after the fact. I'm left with a feeling of fullness in one ear, a highly sensitive VOR, tinnitus and balance issues (feel tipsy despite not having any alcohol or substances to cause such). As for duration and number of attacks, I never thought to write it down.

Thank you for your opinion. smile

• Posted

Yes sounds a lot like my MD experience

Went to Doctors and no one could figure out what was wrong with me. Finally ENT diagnosed me with Menieres. I take Pine bark for circulation and Dandelion for a diuretic. Doing much better.

• Posted

How long did your virtigo attacks last and how frequent and we're all your testing normal? 

• Posted

Hi angela84522,

I'm hoping to see an ENT soon, maybe within a couple weeks with a little luck. I have high blood pressure so I've been on a diuretic for years in addition to a low sodium diet.

Thank you for responding to my question.

• Posted

Your ent is going to ask you about the virtigo attacks, so you should try to write them down. Do you have them often? And you must have to remember if they were an hour or less if they were that terrible.
    • Posted

Well that is actually good that you are already on a diuretic. You could be much worse. Avoid caffine. Google pine bark for Mineres Disease. I can't tell you how much it's helped me. If I have any issues now I take a chewable non drowsy dramimine. But the pine bark can be purchased at any gnc , whole foods store or online

• Posted

Though it wasn't easy, I cut out my morning coffee ritual. I'll try the pine bark. Thank you for the suggestions!

• Posted

Hello.  Classic Meniere's Disease symptoms are:

1.  hearing loss in low decible range.  This is a must for MD

2.  vertigo that lasts at least 20 minutes and up to 24 hours that comes on unexpectedly.

3.  tinnitus in affected ear

4.  ear fullness in affected ear

5.  muffled sound in affected ear.

If you have all 5 of these symptoms you very likely have MD.  If you do not have hearing loss in LOW decible range, you do NOT have MD.  An ENT doctor will administer the hearing test to evaluate and likely send you to have balance/eye tests to confirm MD.

Based on above, do you now think you have MD?  If you do, I suggest you read the many comments/threads already shared on this forum.  We can certainly give you tips on how to manage MD that will make your life more normal.  Let us know. Good luck on your test with END!

• Posted

Hi Tanney,

I have all but low decibel range hearing loss. Guess I'll never know what this is. Losing hope of ever feeling normal again after suffering for two months and counting. Thank you for the information.

• Posted

Don't lose hope yet!  The ENT will administer another hearing test so that he/she can evaluate your level of hearing loss.  if you do not have MD....that's great news.  ENT will tell you what is happening to you and then you both can figure out proper treatment/management.  Try to be optimistic...it's still early.

• Posted

Thank you, Tanney! Having suffered from a brain parasite and two bouts of viral meningitis within the past decade, I know my brain has been through its share of trouble. It may sound strange, but I'll feel relieved once a diagnosis is made...no matter what. Thank you again!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.