in need of help with depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been depressed for over a year now. I am 19 years old and am at my wits' end. i do not know if this makes sense, but it is as if my mind were completely blank and did not enable me to think properly. when i am around people I have nothing to say, while I used to be such a convivial person. my friends have started despising me because they think I communicate such bad vibes and this is really painful to accept, because there is nothing I can do. I used to have a sense of humour, and now I can't bring myself to laugh, ever. I have been on several medications for around a year and a half, to no avail. I have tried psycotherapy twice and am now starting again but tbh I do not believe in it and cannot come to understand how speaking to someone could help me. I spend my day sleeping and find it hard to concentrate when I'm at uni or trying to study. even filling my time with leisurely activities does not make me happy, everything at this point seems completely pointless. Is there anyone who has been in my shoes before and could help me figure out what is going on in my life? thank you in advance. 

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i think every1 on here are or have been in your shoes my friend,your friends dont understand what your going through how can they if they havent been through it themselves,.things do get better i assure you,what meds u on?
  • Posted

Hi I've haven't been well for 14yrs and my med stopped working suddenly. I've been on 2kinds atm but today I feel crap. Yesterday I had really good day but right this minute I'm having one of the waves that keep going around my head which makes me really depressed and I just can't shake it.off. such a horrible thing to go through.

• Posted

Hi I understand what you are talking about as life is very hard when you suffer from depression.  I made sure I was in jobs where I didn't have to think too much and had a certain amount of autonomy so if I needed a doss day I could have one. 

Therapy (the right kind for you) is not a quick fix and it doesn't try to fix you.  What it does is enable you to discuss your deepest feelings and fears in a safe place with another person.  It enables you to look at different angles and see events in another way.  It can enable you to let go of the past so you can move on.  But you have to put the work in yourself and it can take time to start helping. 

I thought your way until I first had therapy.  I knew it was helping when I walked past a group of people who started laughing.  Previously I would have been convinced they were laughing at me.  My first thought however was 'That must have been a good joke'.  I was so astounded at this I stopped dead amazed at my change of thinking.  Having therapy for me validated my feelings and emotions and this was the first time anyone had ever done that.  x

• Posted

Hi lucious my name is Diane. So sorry that you are hurting and yes I have been in deep depression. As a young teen I was deeply depressed and did not know what was wrong. We have so...much more info out here today about it. I would like to answer your question about how therapy/psychiatry works. I call it talk therapy. My feelings when I started therapy had control over me as I talked about the issues in my life "honestly" they had less and less power over me until I started feeling better and better. Until I understand today I have control over my feelings they don't have control over me. Hope this helps and you will try meds and therapy until you find something that works for you!! Please let us know how you are. Diane

• Posted

Hi Lucious - your statement that you cannot understand how speaking to someone could help me is totally acceptable. The person who is working with you in psychotherapy will not have the answers for you - that's not their job. They are there to help guide you through to self awareness, directing the flow of the session to help you discover things about you yourself.  They are not there to judge. I know it can be difficult, but letting go and opening up are the best ways to help yourself. Approach the sessions as if you are stepping into a safe zone, where you can fully express and allow your emotions to surface. If you are not comfortable with the psychotherapist, find another one. This process is something that will serve you in the future - good on you for doing it. Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.