In need of reassurance

Posted , 9 users are following.

First, this forum has helped me so much. I am 29 years old and live in Washington DC. Eight years ago I was diagnosed with LS after a biopsy I had to push for. I did the standard 3 month treatment with clob and my symptoms disappeared. I was completely symptom free for eight years and was checked annually by my gyn for signs of a reoccurance. The doctor was convinced I was in remission. 

However, last month the itchy, sore symptoms returned. I have white patches, which I didn't have 8 years ago on my labia majora. I started on clob ontiment on Thursday and am already starting to see my symptoms lessen. 

But, I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be a struggle for the rest of my life. My husband and I want to start trying for a baby in the fall and I am terrified this will inhibit us from starting a family. I don't have pain during sex, but we stopped having sex last month when I started to feel symptoms and we want to wait to have sex until the symptoms are gone. 

I have seen the pictures online and am terrified that will be my future. I don't have any fusing or tearing, so I should be grateful. This is a very isolating condition, as you all know. And I just need some reassuarance that this can be managed and it doesn't have to ruin my life and our future plans. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It is indeed isolating.  So hard to talk with anybody in your immediate surroundings.  Glad that you found this site. 

?It is a condition that will need constant maintenance.  Remission is possible, but as you have experienced - you have to keep a watchful eye out. 

?Do read "An Experiment with Borax" on this forum.  For me it has helped a lot and I rarely use globetasol at present.  Also good to check your diet - stress, too much sugar, alcohol, dairy are all elements that may influence how well you are able to keep LS under control.  But rest asured - it is very well possible.

?Hopefully the above will get you started on  better management of LS.  Wishing you well.  

• Posted

HI K.G.

I just wanted to give you some reassurance. I'm 40 and was diagnosed last year, but I've had symptoms for many years, that like a lot of us here was misdiagnosed as thrush for years.

I've had 3 children, my last little one just 1.5 years ago, all vaginally. So it was only after after my last that I decided to get a check up done but because the itch was horrible. I had also noticed my clitoris seemed smaller but I guessed that was after babies.

GP again said nothing to worry about, but I persued it and got a Gyn referral. She diagnosed LS.

I, like you have no issues with sex, no pain. Main advice is plenty lubrication and it will help reduce symptoms, does for me anyways.

I think we have to look at the positives here. We are lucky in a sense that we trusted our gut, and sought a diagnosis. Many out there are still unaware, so we have the opportunity to try keep what we have.

A few months back, I thought I'd lose my mind over. LS... But in a better place now. Stay strong, try not let LS get into your head when it comes to intimacy. You have many positives in your life. You will give what works for you, and we will live this together.

Best of luck

Debbie

• Posted

Hello. I am 35 and was diagnosed last year although I believe I had this for many years. It actually explains a lot for me but I will not go into detail with that right now. I have 3 children, ages 9 -5. During my pregnancies I had no issues what so ever and delivered all vaginally. At that point I thought I was experiencing yeast infection issues but never had one during my pregnancies. This is what makes me think LS is something hormonal. Idk though. Still figuring this all out. Best of luck!!
  • Posted

I'm so sorry that the LS has returned and re enforces for us all that we

should always be aware and keep checking once we have had it.

I just want to say that in my experience, stopping sex was not a good

move. The condition is not contagious or dirty. It can be a little painful

during sex if there are splits or dryness but there is also a risk of fusing

and shrinking without it. I am now using a dilator to get back to a

comfortable place. I also missed that side of my relationship with my

husband and see now that it was unnecessary. I don't want to worry you

and wish you all the luck in the world, but continue with your sex life

if you can. It will lower your stress and make you realise that you are still

beautiful and normal.

• Posted

Hi KG,  just want to pass on what my Gyno said, which may help.

'Think of it like diabetes, it will always be there, but can be managed.' Also do read 'an experiment with Borax.' I am one of the ones who was misdaignosed for years, and Borax was a miracle. It seems to stop it progressing. So sorry you've joined us, but it can be held in check, there's many women on here who are testsament to that. Good luck and strength to you.

• Posted

Whatever you were doing for your body eight years ago or these eight years that you have not had it I would continue to eat fresh cut sugar cut Dairy and cut glue gluten I think you must clean your body and then it will clean itself out of you
    • Posted

Thank you for all your advice and support! I'm vegan- so I have a very clean and healthy diet as it is. The only thing I do eat is gluten so I can try to eliminate that.

Dr Goldstein's office is in my area, so I might go see him if things don't improve. I'm hoping the clob works this time like it did the last.

I think I'm just disappointed it has returned and right before it was baby making time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.