In need of reassurance about insomnia

Posted , 10 users are following.

Feeling anxious and worried about lack of sleep on my health and that it will kill me. I've had this problem about 10 years ago somehow got rid of it then it come back again for about 12 months then the last 9 days I've really struggled!I keep fixating that every cold I have appendicitis I had 5 years ago is all caused by lack of sleep. Now I'm waiting for something else to go wrong which is keeping me up so it's like a vicious cycle. It doesn't help that since I was a little girl I have always had health anxiety so this is where the problems stem from plus I'm naturally a worrier anyway but the sleep thing is the one that consumes me. Please just need reassurance xx

0 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Tracey,

Well, I hope you can at least enjoy the irony of being so worried that you can't sleep that you can't sleep! 

I sympathise and imagine it's a very difficult situation for you. The lack of sleep feeding the anxiety and the anxiety robbing you of sleep. However I DO have some thoughts about this that might help:

So a lot of sleep problems are to do with stress and anxiety, and the way we become anxious can actually be very surprising. For example, which started first, the anxious sensation or the the thoughts that made you anxious?

The interaction between mind and body is complex and there isn't the distinction between them we commonly think. Your anxiety may be as a result of a physiological problem, and because you feel anxious you start to dwell on what makes you anxious and before you know it you can't sleep because of it and hey presto - a cycle of anxiety and insomnia and the underlying cause hidden away in plain sight.

So this is maybe why it comes and goes, and my bet is that it will be diet related. At least I'd suggest looking there first. Each person has their own gut biota and metabolic processes triggered by certain types of foods and stimulus like exercise, lack of exercise, lack of sleep, lines, stress and so on. For example, if you eat a high carbohydrate diet, it can spike your blood sugar level, leading to your system producing more insulin, which then fools the body into thinking blood sugar level is low. This causes a cascade of adrenaline related hormones to be released which conflict with other signals. Your mind misinterprets these signals and creates a sense of self (ie how it feels to be you) that is not in step with what is really going on. As you get older, these metabolic processes change and your bodies ability to adjust to certain stimuli changes and can become deprecated. So you just become more sensitive to these problems. For example, some people as they get older find drinking alcohol a bit more challenging.

Diet is at the top of the list for where your body can lack the nourishment it really needs and get too much of what it doesn't that can lead to anxiety. And that's going to be personal, but beware of fad diets. I would suggest low sugar, low carb, low alcohol, high fat and protein diet of the highest quality PLUS supplements. The paleo approach is a good start (the approach - don't get sucked into dogmatic adherence to anything).

The other thing I could suggest would be getting help with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. That can work wonders. They basically train you to recognise negative modes of thought and redirect them. It takes practise but they are incredibly effective. If you would rather do this on your own, I was suggested some books by some medical professionals helping me with a related problem I could dig out for you. I can't remember them off hand. It's also very similar practise to mindfulness, which I have to say, every medical professional I come in contact with these days keeps banging on about.

Another thing I could suggest that has really worked for me is to dig into an eastern philosophy: Taoism. The basic idea behind taoism in the humanist sense is that our suffering comes from our resistance to the natural order of the world. In a sense our suffering is suffering because we view it that way. So this why you're anxious about your anxiety as it were. That 'anxiety' at fundamental level is just a sensation you have 'judged' to be negative, but that sensation can easily be interpreted as 'excitement'. It's not that it isn't there, it's just that it can reframed.

If all this seems a bit touchy feely when you are feeling genuinely rotten, then I do know exactly what you mean. But I have to admit over time it really does help to help you feel centred. I have had to reconfigure my head because I keep trashing my body and its been an extremely difficult readjustment...I am out of credit. My own personal irony is I have to fight against my natural inclination to fight. I really do sympathise with you.

Good luck. I think this is something you can conquer.

• Posted

How are you?
    • Posted

Hi sorry I did reply twice but it said something about being checked by a moderator but dunno why because I didn't say anything I shouldn't. I've calmed a lil I just keep thinking about what u said about that fatal insomnia. Just got to take each day at a time, our brains are our worst enemies at times. Just got to keep saying if I sleep I sleep if I don't I don't like you in the past I have gone days without a wink but I'm still hear xx

• Posted

Keep trying to reply but keeps saying needs to be looked by moderator. Slept a couple hours last night after hours of tossing and turning, feel Soo anxious I dnt feel good at all xx
    • Posted

Feel kinda depressed and anxious I just don't know what to do, I'm making myself worse because I'm fighting it because I've had it b4 the lack of sleep and I struggled to cope so don't know how to cope again . Feel like I'm going to lose my son my partner and my job xx

• Posted

Once you start sleeping a bit more normally you will be back on track. You’ve had it before so you know at some time you will sleep more normally again. Loss of sleep does make you anxious and changes your think pattern but it’s not life threatening.  You sound like a lovely Mum so dont even think that
    • Posted

The Dr gave me fluoextine yesterday to help with general anxiety, it's just my personality that I'm natually anxious but sometimes it's Soo controlling. The scary thing is not knowing how long the sleep problem will go on for, in the past it's gone on for a long long time constant fuzzy head. I've started to get jealous of how good my partner sleeps too, if he says hes tired I give him evil looks lol. Thank u for your kind words xx

• Posted

I know what you mean. My husband sleeps like a log. The times I have said to him “It’s alright for you,you sleep “ I am such a misery in the day when I only have a few hours sleep night after night.In the past I even cancelled a holiday as I was sleeping so badly. As I said to you I am sleeping better maybe 6 hrs a night which is brilliant for me and I’m a much nicer person ha ha! Take your medication cause I think once your anxiety eases you will find you will sleep better. Like me you will always be quite an anxious person but as you get older you will learn how best to control it. You are fine Tracey nothing horrid is going to happen to you.x
    • Posted

Yes it's controlling wen it rears it's ugly head this insomnia fuelled by anxiety. I just been on the sofa for a hour and felt really relaxed but not sure if I reached sleep or not if that makes sense. One day at a time I think and not keep being so hard on myself , I even get it in my head I'm a bad mom I'm a bad partner etc etc because of my worries xx

• Posted

I had months without sleep was nasty and horrible but Dr reassured me that laying resting in bed you'd be fine the worrying about it is the reason your having insomnia need to not worry if you do keep worrying it keeps you in that cycle of fear making your brain go into alert making impossible to sleep so go to bed and just relax 

• Posted

someone told me try make document were you put your worries down, your worst fears of no sleep and then you debunk it by saying things like i won't die, i won't be hurt, i will sleep again, i will be safeetc. also tricking your brain every night by telling it your going to stay up all night and won't sleep which makes brain go ok then i will force you to sleep 

• Posted

100% your brains in high alert cause your anxious so it's to energetic for you to get any sleep so stop worrying and just relax i promise you it will help i went through worse period of my life when i couldn't sleep for months not once did i fall asleep i went through total nightmare and managed you can

• Posted

Thanks Ross, yes it is the fear feeding it just don't know where to start with not actually caring. I also believe I totally underestimate how much sleep I get because when I wasn't sleeping before my partner has heard my lightly snoring he'd been to toilet etc and I'd never heard him , don't know why I'm like this it's like I torture myself

• Posted

Stay positive and say positive things when you sleep, try a regulated sleep pattern when to go to bed and when to wake up do that same one for a week.  trust every nasty thought comes into your head write it down then tell yourself you taking the night off and will read it tomorrow or just take those nasty thoughts and turn them into positive thoughts which should beak the cycle.  i literally just told my brain every night i will sleep again, you don't need to be on alert and i am safe and nothing bad will happen 

• Posted

I agree Ross. I used to say “Get lost not sleeping I WILL sleep tonight”! Yes it’s the negative thoughts and overthinking that is the killer. I still have really bad nights but managing to control it more. It’s only people who have had insomnia that’s understand.  
    • Posted

It's just horrible, I really feel like I'm going to die younger and feel Soo irrational x

• Posted

No you won’t Ithought that at your age even said to Dr think I’m going to die young. He said it’s the worry that will kill you!! Thirty years later still here with no health problems despite not sleeping  !! You will be fine Tracey xx
    • Posted

How did u cope when at work etc with no sleep at all? Have u had many periods of no sleep at all or is yours mainly lil sleep xx
    • Posted

I feel Soo lonely x
    • Posted

Sorry for rambling Angela but u so remind me of myself not just the sleep thing but everything you say x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.