In pain, vacation soon, need help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all.  I'm a 53-year-old obese female (252 5'2"wink.  I have diabetes, controlled high blood pressure, diverticulosis, and bilaterial knee osteoarthritis.  I've been treated with steroid shots in one knee.  It made my diabetes skyrocket and I only had relief for one day.  I take all kinds of homeopathic pain relievers as well as Aleve.  I have to rotate these because one will tend to stop working after a while, so I go on to the next one.  Sometimes I have to use a cane.

I've been on a low-carb diet for two weeks and have only lost one pound.  I am so discouraged.  Today I threw in the towel and ate a hamburger.  Now I really feel guilty.   I'm trying to stay away from sugar and bread.   I'm in a panic now because my vacation is coming up at the end of September and I can barely walk.  I went shopping today and had to cut it short when my knees started "catching" and the pain was too much. 

I'm wondering if I should get a brace.  I have very large legs.  From the ones I see on Amazon, I'll have to get a size 6X.   What kind should I get?  An offloader?  Not sure.  My pain is on the inside medial part of each knee.  Probably from years of pronation or supination?  I just bought a really good pair of shoes with orthotics in them but sometimes it's just not enough.  

Any advise would be appreciated.  I know I need to exercise but it sure hurts.  I have been to physical therapy but the relief didn't last very long.  Probably should still be doing the exercises.  I will at least start that.  Thanks all! 

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ok - so here goes.  Low carb diets hmm, don't cut out  a food group.  It's not healthy to do that.  Eat regular small meals before cutting out an entire food group.  Many many foods have healthy carbs, just don't eat the unhealthy carbs.  

Advice about the brace - speak to your doctor. 

Exercise is good, it raises your endorphin levels making us happier.  

Do what you can without doing too much. 

• Posted

re the exercise - try swimming, low impact and no weight bearing.  I cant swim at the moment due to ruptured bicep tendons and I hadnt realised until I was forced to stop just how much benefit I was getting from going swimming, even slow easy short sessions.  Excellent aerobic exercise, great for keeping flexible, and building muscle tone increases the body's consumption of calories, even when resting.  Even if you cant swim, walk around in the shallow end - the support given by the water means no weight bearing problems.

• Posted

Hi Deanna, just read your Post.   You have to lose weight to take the stress of all your joints - that means Knees! as well, and losing weight will lower your blood pressure as well.   I have just come home from a Total Knee replacement, but beforehand I lost one a half stone very easily.  I had just a boiled egg with one slice of buttered bread mornings.   2 rice cakes with my  chosen topping, which is prawns in mayonnaise ( but could be boiled egg, ham, fish or what you fancy plus 2 pieces of fruit for lunch.   Evening dinner large baked potato with butter and grated cheese, plus pickles, plus tomatoes. OR  3 cooked  chicken joints, no fat or skin.  mop it off. any veg you like - no potatoes, rice or noodles.  l Yoghurt.   Do not eat any sweets, cake, chocks or fruit drinks.   There.  It worked for me and the weight fell off, I am 5ft.3".       Enough preaching, I hope you do manage to get yourself relatively fit again - best wishes  Janet.

• Posted

I've had severe osteoarthritis since I was about 30. Have had 30 severe major operations.  I'm 62 now.

First Cervical surgery of removing discs when I was around 30.  The severe osteoarthrits in my knees was since I was about 40. They wouldn't let me have knee replacements till I was 60 which made it about 20 years of severe pain just from my knees.

At 61 I had my first total knee replacement and the second total knee replacement 3 months ago.  I'm still alive, still happy even though I've had severe pain in every joint for 32 years.

Don't get worried or anxious about anything, work with it. It's not uncommon.

Why are you anxious about having a vacation?  I would've been ecstatic if I could ever, in my life, afforded one. Never ever been on a great vacation.  Always look on the bright side of life.  Blackadder.

Gotta get things in perspective and enjoy our lives.biggrin lol lol

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your kind posts!  I failed to mention that I swim every day.  In fact, my hubby and I are thinking about getting a heater for the pool so we can swim in the winter.  Winters are mild here in Florida and I love my pool!  I swim every day, although I probably need to step it up as far as exercising in the pool.  Floating around is not exercise.  lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.