In search of the root cause

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm here as a 30 something whose been suffering from heart arrythmias for the past 5 years knowingly but probably had the odd skipped beat or two further back than this.

When my arrthymias started I seeked medical help. I has ECG's, tapes, heart scans which all returned negative, the doctors I saw believed me but couldn't find anything wrong.

For the next 5 years I experienced what I believe are PVCs on and off. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and sleep deprivation all had some tangle negative affect as did magnesium in a positive manor. I experimented with these substances, quitting them and reintroducting them slowly but there never seemed to be a consistent response to their presence or lack there of.

About a week ago I opened google, as I frequently do, to search for any possible thread of information that may help treat or reduce my arrythmias. I came across an article that mentioned "tyramine" and another amine that had caused a particular fellow to experience atrial fibrilation. Red wine, mature cheese and tap beer all contained tyramine in high quantities; these also happen to be particular favourites of mine.

It's been a week since I cut out tyramine and my arrythmias have all but vanished. The tense feeling in my chest is gone, the "thud thud" feeling every other beat is gone. I get the very occasional skipped beat but I feel 90% better. I no longer need to take magnesium pills to stop the mid afternoon attcks I used to get.

I know this could be a coincidence and I'll be giving it more time before declaring any success. I wanted to share my story incase anyone else has experienced similar issues (PVC / PAC ect) and hasn't had success in the medical system or with their own treatments, this dietry change maybe worth a try.

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

That's interesting to read. My doctor told me to avoid red wine after a nasty case of tachycardia after drinking sangria on holiday that landed me in hospital. She mentioned some chemical that was in it that may have set me off. I used to eat a lot of cheese but not very much anymore as I found it upset my stomach but then so do the palpitations, maybe this was one and the same thing?? Always interested to read others research after 6 years of hunting for answers myself. Hope this continues to work for you.

• Posted

Hi Sian, I think it probably is for the same chemical. In the article I read two amines were mentioned, tyramine and phenethylamine, so i suppose cutting down on both of these could be of benefit, I'm just focusing on one for now.

The article I'm refering to is: [b]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2374295/Heart-palpitations-blamed-foods-ripe-bananas-cheese-beans[b].html

Appologies if you're not from the UK, the Daily Mail isn't usually the best journalism. I did look up the claims made and found lots of studies linking the amines with various heart arrythmias so I'm fairly sure there's some sound link there.

Best of luck with your search for a cure!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.