In serious need for help and advice. I'm not sure if I have depression and what to do.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'm not sure how to approach this topic, as I am only addmiting today that there is something wrong with me.

The reason for this is due to the fact that I expereinced my second black out last night during my birthday celebration, where I had a full blown hysteria fit and inflicted injuries on myself. However, I cannot remember any of this. 

In these black outs I am crying, falling over, scratching myself and ranting negative stuff about myself. After it, I woke up covered in bruises and my friend, who was very freaked out because this is the second time she had to try to calm me down, explained everything to me.

The first time it happened, was right after I admitted to my friend that I am a rape victim, which I suspect was the trigger for the blackouts. I was raped over a year ago and this was the first time I had talked to anyone about it, as I kept it to myself and tried to forget about it. 

During the period of time between this incident and my first blackout, I noticed changes in my behaviour and general life style. 

My sleeping patterns have become inconsistent, for long periods of time I can't sleep at all and feel tired and restless, and then other times I'm constantly sleeping and I am unable to bring myself to do anything. In adition to that I have grown to hate myself, I can't open up to people, I am constantly in fear of being judged, I can't eat and when I do I feel sick, partly because I don't like my body image, and I know that this has a massive impact on my eating habits. I have to force myself to eat. I am tired, I can't do anything, I have completely lost all interest in anything, I can't concentrate on anything. I have become very sensetive and I cry about every mistake and wrong choice I make, I blame myself for eveything, even the things that I couldn't change. I have become moody, lazy, everything annoys me, I don't want to spend time with people. I just feel sad and lonely all the time for over a year. 

This has had a massive effect on my life, I complain about guys treating me like trash when I am treating myself like trash. I feel like I can never be cared about because I am not good enough, instead of trying to develop a relationship and have someone to be there for me, I am sleeping around and letting guys walk all over me and then I blame myself for it. Even when I try not to do this, I still end up being in those situations. 

I don't know what to do with myself anymore, my studies have gone downhill and I honsetly don't see a future for myself. 

I don't want someone try to mess with my head and make me talk about all the things that I have forced to the back of mind. There are many traumatizing events that I have tried to forget about since I was little and no one knows about them. I feel ashamed about myself, I hate myself. 

Telling my friend about the rape has made everything even worse and now I am experiencing these black outs, which scares me. I know that if don't do anything it will get worse and I am scared of the idea of having a blackout without my friend being present, what if I injure myself more seriously next time. 

But I don't know what to do.

My friend wants me to go a doctor she supsects me of havnd depression and anxiety, but it's a scary thing to admit. 

I hope that this makes sense, because my mind currently is a mess and I'm not sure if anyone will understand what I am trying to say with this, but I hope that I can get any kind of advice on how I can get my life back on track.

Thank you, 

Laura

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

definatly take ur friends advice n goto the doctors, make a note of what u have posted, so as to not miss anything out, sooner you do this, the sooner u start ur path to recovery,

its gonna take a long while, holding off doctors appointment will only durate this even more,

• Posted

Go to your doctors. I have a constant battle trying to get the support I need but with the right doctor I am getting it.
  • Posted

Hi Laura

my heart goes out to you honey ♥ I had a quick search and found this:

PTSD? ... irritability, anger, poor concentration, blackouts or difficulty remembering ... symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?

Please get yourself to the doctor asap. If you Google 'blackouts and PTSD lots of info will come up for you. God bless you sweetheart. Don't leave it...get to docs xxx♥

• Posted

Hi I am so sorry you have and are still suffering like this.  I do understand coz I was raped many years ago too.   The most important thing to remember is that you are NOT in any way shape or form to blame,  regardless of the circumstances of the rape.

As you are finding out forcing traumatic events to the back of your mind doesn't work does it?   I am no doctor but maybe your black outs are your body's way of telling your mind to sort these issues out.   Mind and body are extricably linked you know. 

Ignoring traumatic events causes what I call poisonous boxes to form in the mind.   These will inevitably leak at some stage and the longer you leave it the longer and more violent will be your reactions.   These issues are now affecting your whole life and it is imperative that you seek help coz they won't go away you know without it.   

Please make an urgent appointment to see your doctor and tell them what has been happening.   I know you don't want to talk about it but is living the way you are now any better?   x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.