In so much pain!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Diagnosed last night with PF after weeks of pain. I ended up in my local urgent care centre.

I left with strong painkillers, a tubigrip on and crutches!

Was wondering what people have found to relieve/ease the pain. Its excruiating at times.

I am a nursing assistant and do 12.5hr shifts.

Thanks in advance

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

All I can advise you to do is read all the postings in here from those of us who have bc everyone is different. Mine is severe too and has really messed up my mobility. I've had mine for about a year now. Some days are better than others but you never know from day to day. Hearing my story would probably depress you so just read everyone's posts. You'll learn alot.  God bless you....
  • Posted

Hello Zoe, there are an awful lot of people who have PF and many of them belong to a forum like this one.  Some have had PF for years and some poor things have PF in both feet and still the medical profession have yet to find a positive cure which must make many sufferers despair. I've had PF in my right heel for about a year and like ladyjack51 says 'some days are better than others'.  It's not so much the walking that does it, although I can feel every step, but the aftermath.  The pain might even manifest itself when I'm just taking it easy by sitting on a chair, everyone is different. Heel gels and insteps might work for you but from my experience they are a waste of money, that's not to say you shouldn't try them, for all I know your pain might be controllable. If you have a good doctor who is a good listener he might have up-to-date information. Anyway, good luck, I do hope you find something that suits you.
  • Posted

Zoe5055, I have chronic PF in both feet, and have been on crutches for 8 weeks. I'm on Tramadol for the pain. Finally saw the Orthopaedic Surgeon last week and he is going to inject both feet with Steroids, but he has said he will have to give me a GA as it's a very painful procedure. I can't wait! I just hope it works. 

Have you got an appointment to see an Orthopaedic Consultant? Or do you have to go back to your GP?

• Posted

Hi Barbara

Went back to my GP and she said it was to early for her to intervene.

Advised to see Occupatational Health at work as they may be able to offer me something. Also to stop using the tubi grip.

Lots of pain the last 2 days.

• Posted

hi Zoe,u dont say if you are male or female or mention your age.I think that PF is only found in Uk or maybe in the WEst?Its unheard of here in East Africa.I'm 74 and male.I got PF when in Uk long ago.But it didnt last long(not more than 10 days.I will share with you about the remedy that worked for me.Stand on stairs as though you are going to climb them.Stand with your heels overlapping the edge of the stair that you are on.Remember that you are facing upstairs At this point it may be good if you can hold a hand rail so you dont lose balance and fall backwards.gently rise up on your toes with your legs closed,then gently lower down so that your heels are slightly below the edge of the step.do these exercises several times a day.DONT DO IT BAREFOOT.Make sure you are wearing shoes.within several days to a week you will notice all pain has gone andyou are healed.Please keep me informed of your progress. 
    • Posted

Davey13...very good advice and a good exercise for Plantar Fasciitis....but please don't tell everyone that is the cure for PF. If you the posts in here, you would see that others have tried that exercise along with many other things and it did NOT work. It just depends. Everyone is different. Myself?...rolling my heel on the ice bottle worked on 1 foot but not on the other. I think PF is worldwide....but I never heard of it until I got it. No one ever talked about it.  I never even learned about it in nursing school! I am in the USA by the way.  You are blessed that exercise worked for you and it is great advice to try it but to predict that it is the cure is over stepping your bounds just a bit. I don't want people to think they are failures if it doesn't work for them.  This is a very individual issue for everyone.  But again, thank you for sharing what worked for you. 
  • Posted

Hi everyone

Just catching up, so many of you suffering. My PF has settled down but not gone.

I have changed my working shoes so that they have a small heel and not flat.

I have bought memory foam insoles to cushion the shoes.

Working 12.5hr shifts really does not help but learning to live with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.