In so much pain osteoarthritis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had back operation 3 years back this year, and now discovered I have osteoarthritis am devastated. My knee's hurt so much it wakes me up in night. Can't walk longer then 30 mins, am 49. I can't believe it, I was working untill 5 months ago. I can't kneel down can't use oven. Am on codrodmal for pain, use hot water bottles as it helps.

I just can't believe this has happened my life seems to has just stopped. I suffer with depression anyway.

Worked all my life, now I feel like a recluse

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna, I'm sorry to hear of your struggle. Continual pain is so depressing. It may be worth discussing your medication with your gp and certainly ask to see the physio or musculoskeletal team, they're very good I find.

Wishing you some pain free nights very soon,

Louise

• Posted

My wife has pain through frozen shoulder. Friend lent her "tens" battery driven mild electric shock provider. Not usable at night, during day on for 1 hour, off for 20 mins.

£40 quid for machine and pads etc. , durblock 9 v battery.

Wife has found it very good when working on household chores, decorating, etc.

Good luck!

• Posted

I'm sorry for what you're going through. Yes, for me I have had 12 surgeries in my hands. I also have dupuytrens conjuncture in both of my hands. My dad had it and his dad had it. It is hereditary. I've also had 3 knee replacements and a broken femur. I had to retire at age 59 because of this crap. Who has time to work with so many doctor appointments!? Pain is just debilitating. I'm just so sorry you're another one who gets to go through it. I can barely stand up at times. I am back and forth from crutches to ski poles when I walk. I can't keep my balance most of the time. Doctors keep saying "don't fall". But all the meds they give me cause dizziness.

Have you been seeing the PT people? They can maybe help give you pointers as to how to bend over so you can use the oven? I have a lower back issue after I was caught in a hydraulic lift and it pushed my head down into my body cracking the top tip off of every single vertebrae going down my back. I also get stuck trying to bend over. So frustrating and the pain is too much. You're not alone Donna. That's for sure. Sorry I wanted to let you know you're not alone going through these things. But I'm sure that's not really really helping you. I wish I could.

• Edited

So sorry. Chronic pain is a bummer! Physio may help as the right exercises will strengthen your muscles and this helps support the joints.

• Edited

If your pain is due to inflammation it would be better to use an ice pack. You might also try a couple of aspirin a day which reduces inflammation and see that helps.

• Edited

Hi Donna,

I'm so sorry to hear you're in pain.

It seems like your pain is caused by the inflammation process in your joints (inflammation is present in almost every joint with osteoarthritis). Let me give you some advice:

1. During this phase you need to rest
    2. Ice the joints 2-3 times a day in about 20 min. after activities is recommended.
    3. NSAID 2-3 times a day for 10 days ( Ask your dr. if you have other conditions, e.g. ulcer, heart disease)

After this phase the pain will be less severe. I promise:) But if you don't assess the issue that this is a chronic condition, you are likely to have another period of pain like you are experiencing now.

The one most important thing you need to do, when phase 1 is over is to start high resistant weight exercises. In Scandinavia (where i live), there's been some resent studies regarding this, and the results are phenomenal!

Hope you get better soon

Physio Carl Simeon

• Posted

By all means use aspirin temporarily for acute flare up. But do not use aspirin regularly as it, and all nsaids, interfere with cartilage regeneration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.