In the emergency room. Please help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm currently in the emergency room due to some very scary symptoms that could be cause by anxiety, but of course my mind jumps to the conclusion of seizer, stroke, and some sort of brain tumor symptoms. About 7 months ago I was deathly afraid of heart attacks and my heart in general, and my panic attacks worsened this. Most of my panic symptoms mimicked heart attacks (chest pain, heart palpitations, dizziness, shallow breathing, etc) but after dozens of doctor visits and months of not dying, alas I am not so much afraid of my heart, and my anxiety has seemed to adapt accordingly. I'm told changing symptoms can be a good sign, but it is also terrifying because I can easily identify "heart attack" symptoms, but don't know if it's just panic or actually a brain tumor etc because I haven't been tested for it. For the past few weeks I've had some strange head sensations (mild localized pain and tingling sensations) as well as mild distorted vision. Tonight I felt very weak in my legs, increased head sensations, muscle weakness on the left side of my body, and General discomfort making me assume stroke or something along those lines. The wait here in the emergency room is very long and my symptoms have lessened a bit. I am hoping for some peace of mind while waiting. Can this all be explained by anxiety? I know none of you can give me a clear example, but is it at least possible this is only a panic attack? After being panic attack free for a few months, I am very disappointed to be feeling this way again. Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I was just recently at the doctors because I have high anxiety and was convinced I had a brain tumor. She reassured me that the brain is very powerful and can make you think that there are symptoms there that actually are not. Its always good to get it checked out if your worried. Once I had two doctors reassure me I did not have a brain tumor my anxiety in general lessoned a lot! Let me know how you get on x
  • Posted

I truly do not think if you were having a stroke, you would have been able to type this. I also do not think you would feel better while waiting. So that is good. You are in the right place for them to test and treat what is going on. Get them to test everything that worries you so you can have peace of mind. Panic and anxiety can make us have all kinds of symptoms. And our over active minds can turn it into fearful illnesses. Sending you Prayers that all is fine. Hang in there, and let us know you are okay. I know it is very frustrating!!
  • Posted

Hi brenth u sound a bit like myself lol I've been in few times too with exactly same symptoms as u and yes it is anxiety related it can trigger a massive amount of symptoms I wud get palps heart pounding racing heart dizzibess light headed, weakness shakes hot n cold,tingling to my fingersn nose n cheek horrendous it was.I'm not solo bad now but still have off days but I do ride through them as I no it can't do NY harm so once ur tests OK try t learn n relax n the more u stay out of hospital the better for u as i felt safer there so I had t break that cycle keep positive n I no its very hard but try n relax etc
  • Posted

Left the emergency room last night after waiting for 3 hours.. Saw my doctor today. She said it sounded like some sort of migraine to her, but we also scheduled an MRI for my head just in case. I still feel some very mild sensations in my head, along with some blurred vision and weak legs. I never believe anxiety could be the cause of this and that my symptoms wouldn't be as constant as they are if it was just anxiety, but I suppose we shall see. Thank you all for your replies and prayers!
    • Posted

When the scans come back normal,you'll think of something else to fret about,and you'll continue to do so until you get a grip of your anxiety, I was the same. My Missus would find something positive,and I'd find away of shooting it down. I maybe wrong,this scan maybe your road back to good health,as recovery of anxiety has to start somewhere.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.