In the process of thyroid diagnosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can someone please tell me if it is normal to feel really out of breath and shaky and worn out from the unrelenting high heart rate?  I have an enlarged thyroid - bigger on one side - which is making it difficult to breathe and swallow. I don’t think I have slept more than an hour or two at a time in the last 2 weeks. I’m scheduled for ultrasound of the thyroid in 2 days but I actually feel like I literally could explode  before then!!! And then it will be another few days after that before my blood work comes back.  The icing on the cake is the swelling in my neck feels like I am carrying a brick around in my throat. I can’t lay down to sleep because it makes it feel like my head is like full of fluid or something  if I bend over or lay back it feels like this “fluid feeling” starts to just pound all around my head and throat almost like a headache. A real intolerable heaviness of sorts. 

Has anyone been treated with anything before the actual diagnosis of hyper thyroid to relieve these symptoms?? I am already on verapamil to reduce my heart rate associated with high blood pressure and it seems like it’s not helping anymore. 

Helllllllpppppp! 😔

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry......not sure what you've been diagnosed with...I have graves and feel shaky a lot of the times..mostly in my hands and I do get tired and weak easier than before......Did the doctor give you beta blockers for the heart rate?  or is she/he waiting on test results?  

• Posted

Hi Rose, thank you for your quick reply. I have not been diagnosed as of yet, I am having ultrasound of thyroid tomorrow. My Dr said it did not feel nodular but it IS larger on the right side than the left. Much larger I would say. Blood work was taken yesterday and hopefully some of it might be back by tomorrow. I ended up taking a Valium this morning and this evening trying to calm myself. I don’t have the shaking you describe that goes along with Graves, I have the enlargement, heart rate was as high as 128 yesterday in office, and the enlargement is making it difficult to breathe and swallow. Can not sleep and that is making me more uncomfortable than anything I think. I have actually gained weight over the past 6 months, but my Dr said everyone has different responses to the imbalance.  So I think I would have liked to have had beta blockers to bring my system back down to earth!!! I have been on Verapamil for the heart rate but that was prescribed when we thought it was associated with my high BP.  I can’t stand this feeling. 

So when your Graves was diagnosed, did you have the enlargement of your thyroid? You said you have the shaking. What is it that causes that and does it go away?  Did you have this heaviness in your head and throat and neck? I’ve also been having throbbing headaches I seem to get for the very little sleep I do get. 

• Posted

Hi....yes my thyroid was enlarged and I have 2 nodules....   Shaking/tremors comes along with graves......I think it's tied to the metabolism somehow...not really sure...mine comes and goes could depend on how much hormone is being released.  No heaviness...but my nodules are in the beginning stages...yours might be larger......and I don't really get headaches... 

I've worked on changing my diet...no gluten or sugar... 

I'm sure the high heart rate is scary...hopefully, you'll find some relief soon..

• Posted

I was put on Propranolol and that worked for me.  Speak to your doc about either switching medications or changing your dosage.  There are also natural supplements you can take that would help block the excessive thyroid hormones.  I can email you if you want more information on this.
    • Posted

would you please email me the natural information....I've been looking into apricot seeds...do you know anything about them?  thanks 

• Posted

Rose  I don’t want to worry you 

But I’ve been reading some negative stuff about wild claims of cancer cures due to taking apricot seeds and / or kernels 

I would just make sure you’ve read a bit about it all .. as they contain  traces of cyanide  🙀🙀

And can be fatal in some circumstances ..

Please take care 

Luv nx🌹

• Posted

I've been reading that as well.....I guess the seeds turn to cyanide in your stomach....

• Posted

Yes please! I will take any and all information I can get! I replied in the other post that I tried to reach the endocrinologist today and will have to wait now until they return to their office on Monday. I have a feeling it’s going to take some time to get in. I am hoping my primary care will prescribe something to relieve my symptoms as soon as she gets the blood work and the report on the u/s. She mentioned medical therapy and also mentioned surgery. I guess to remove the thyroid? I just want to feel normal. 

How long would you say your symptoms of tachycardia and feeling exhausted and breathless were present before your condition was diagnosed?

• Posted

Leslie .. I’m sorry your syffering so badly 

I do know how you feel  as I have Graves and was pretty ill before I was diagnosed   

I took myself off to see an Endocrinologist  privately and I’m so very glad I did that as no time was lost treating me !

I did NOT have an enlarged Thyroid however 

But shaking was something I did .. a lot of .. head to foot almost 

Even my balance was knocked for six ..  my voice was very shaky

And I had tremors and trouble choking on food and drink ...

Many of us have been there where you are now ...  and the good news is  many of us are now Euthyroid ..   ie.. Normal

You may not believe it but once you have started with meds ... presuming you have Graves’ disease for example ,  you will start to feel much better .. 

get the blood results to decide whether you have Graves or perhaps goiter ir something else 

It’s very important if you could give us your blood results so that we can see just where you are with your thyroid ..  that will make it easier for us to advise you on what to do next 

Please don’t despair  .. insist your doctor helps you quickly ....

There are very good things you could take   

But you must research a bit yourself

Motherwort

Bugleweed

And lemon Balm 

All three mixed together helped me immensely  

Please Google each one if the to see how they work 

With overactive Thyroid 

Making sure that  with an enlarged  Thyroid  they are safe too

I bought them in tincture form and mixed the three together in equal proportions in a large brown glass bottle and 

Took around 5 mls  three times daily   Or when I felt anxious 

But check first... as I did not have an enlarged Thyroid and they 

Were of great benefit to me ..

Magnesium is very helpful at bedtime to Allow you to rest 

High dose good quality 

I take magnesium. Glycinate 

Which is well tolerated and does not loosen the bowels as some others do ..

There are loads of  natural things to take  but wouldbe better after your bloods have been taken  .. as they will skew your results somewhat 

Try to rest as much as you can .. not just in a chair .. but in a prone position .. legs up .. and try to be calm   ...

Come back and let us know how things go ..

And we will help ..

Best of luck Luvvie

Mx🌹

• Posted

Thank you so much for the information. Have you all had the ultrasound to evaluate the thyroid? I just finished with mine and I was surprised to feel the tech spend some time on my lymph nodes under my chin.

Dr said she did not feel nodules. But I suppose the u/s will show for sure. I’m hoarse now and especially while having the u/s done with my neck flexed I felt that terrible pressure in my face. I have been choking on food. Scared myself a couple of times! I tried to get in touch with endocrinologist today and their office is closed for holiday (American Thanksgiving) now I’ll have to wait for everything until Monday. 

The diet information would be helpful. I have no idea what to eat and what not to eat. I saw something that said to stay away from broccoli and cauliflower???  So is it possible to just have hyper- without Graves Disease? My eyes are not bulging (yet). Is that something that would happen right away? 

• Posted

In all honesty Leslie I don’t diet .. but I don’t eat meat  and really only eat fish seafood etc ..  pasta

And vegetables and salad  stuffs .

My weakness is bread  .. but whole meal   .. I should try to go gluten free .. but it’s my guilty little pleasure .. and I can’t 

I guess i think I deserve it after all  graves has put me through !!

But you must remember in most cases particularly Graves and Hashimotos  it’s  the auto  immune system that’s gone out of kilter .. not the Thyroid Gland .

Therefore my approach and many others was to try to treat my immune system 

And since around 80% if it is in our Gut  !   Then that is a good place to start treatment ..

In answer to your question   You certainly  CAN be hyper without it being Graves  it’s having antibodies that makes it Graves 

Perhaps you have Thyroiditis 🦋

Or some other condition    There are many 

But you will soon find out and you will then tell us and we can help !!🌸

Best of luck 

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Ps ... my eyes did not bulge at all thank God  but they were very itchy and dry   Felt like they had sand in them too .. antibiotic drops fixed that after Graves diagnosis .

And certainly not everyone gets 

The eye problems ..

Nx🌹

• Posted

Ok girls, this is my U/S report:

RIGHT LOBE:

The right lobe measures 5.2 x 2.5 x 2.6 cm. It is diffusely

heterogeneous in appearance. At least 3 discrete nodules are

identified within the right lobe. There is a mixed solid and cystic

nodule in the midpole anteriorly, measuring 1.3 x 0.7 x 1.5 cm.

Immediately posterior to it is a 2nd similar appearing mixed solid

cystic nodule measuring 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.2 cm. Inferior to these 2

nodules is a 1.9 x 1.1 x 1.4 cm mixed solid cystic nodule. These all

likely represent colloid lesions.

LEFT LOBE:

The left lobe measures 4.9 x 2.2 x 2.2 cm. It is mildly heterogeneous

diffusely. There is an echogenic solid appearing nodule in the

midpole anteriorly, measuring 1.3 x 1.1 x 1.2 cm. Just inferior to it

is a mixed solid cystic nodule measuring 2.3 x 1.7 x 2.3 cm.

ISTHMUS:

The isthmus measures 3 mm. It is heterogeneous without discrete

nodule.

CERVICAL LYMPH NODES:

There is a prominent, 1.4 x 0.8 x 1.2 cm lymph node on the right

level 1 B, likely a reactive lymph node. Also noted on the left level

3 is a 1.4 x 0.8 x 1.2 cm probable reactive lymph node.

IMPRESSION:

At least 3 mixed solid cystic nodules are noted in the right lobe of

the thyroid. There is a solid echogenic 1.1-1.3 cm nodule and a mixed

solid and cystic nodule measuring 1.7-2.3 cm in the left lobe. These

all likely represent colloid lesions. Adenoma or other neoplasm of

any of these nodules is not entirely excluded. The remaining thyroid

parenchyma is heterogeneous, which could be seen with an atypical

thyroiditis and correlation is recommended.

Presumed reactive cervical nodes are noted. 

Two years ago my Antithyroid perox. AB  was abnormal at 96 IU/mL and this new test has me increased at 226 IU/dL with normal range at both times being <34. My other blood work was mostly normal with Reverse T3 @26.0  (normal being 9.0-27.0; Antithyroglobulin antibody was <20 with normal being 0-40; I had a nucleated erythrocyte count of 0-100 with 0 being normal; and 1.74 mIU/L TSH. 

They wanted me seen at Endocrinologist on Wedsnesday which was ASAP. Not my first choice dr but I feel like I can’t wait until March to be seen!! So my worries are that one of the nodules is is solid and the others are cystic. My mother worry is that all my thyroid blood work except the antibodies is normal. Why would that be?? And do the measurements on my thyroid gland itself sound crazy big? I certainly know it’s here and enlarged, but unless I told someone I don’t think they would notice the swelling in my neck.  Does anyone have any idea what I might expect from this new endocrinologist based on your own experiences?  Does this sound like Graves? Need Biopsy? Medication? Is it likely she might change up my BP and heart rate meds since they are both probably being caused from the dysfunctional thyroid? Soooooo many questions and worries. THanks did your support. 

Leslie

54 and so tired and achy, and sleepless and hard to breathe and swallow and gained 40 lbs in 8 months....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.