In the USA and getting bunion operation for both feet next month...Any help preparing?!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone!

I've been reading a lot of discussions on double bunion operation on this board. I'm going in for my op at the end of next month, right after Christmas (getting both feet done) and I feel I might need some info on how to prepare for the op as I've been told by my doctor I won't be able to bare any weight on my feet for at least 4 weeks. He was very hesitant on doing both at the same time but quite frankly, I don't want to go in twice, pay twice, and be off from work twice. Any tips, to help me deal with what's to come? What should I have on hand to help me during the day when my boyfriend is working? He said he'll buy me a scooter (I think that's what it's called) to help me get around the house when I need to use the bathroom or get something from the kitchen. I'm really nervious about getting both feet done but I'm 32yo, both feet are becoming unbearably painful. Also, my boyfriend and I plan on getting married in a yr or so and starting a family within the next two years so if I don't do this now, I'm not sure when I'll be able to do it.

Please guys, any help, advice and/or tips, will be GREATLY appreciated!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had the bunion on my left foot done & I walked out of the recovery room. No crutches, no cane. Took 2 days off work, then resumed my normal life. Driving to work every morning. Walking around (hobbling). Pin & stitches removed at 4 weeks and back in normal shoes at 6 weeks. I even had to run from one end of the airport to the other during the 7th week! I am 59 years old so I should be healing slow! So, if a standard bunion operation is causing you more discomfort than that they you have the wrong doctor.

• Posted

It depends on your type of surgery. Mine was the procedure that involved cutting the bone, inserting two permanent screws, shaving the joint and fusing. I was non weight bearing for 4 full weeks then partial for 2, then bearing with limitations. My doctor is well known for high success rates and fabulous!
    • Posted

Wow that sounds super fast!! I don't think I'll be so fortunate since I'm getting both done at the same time. That's fantastic!
    • Posted

Yours sound more like what I'm getting done. The doctor said my big toes will be separated, a screw put in and re-attached. I don't remember if my bones are supposed to be shaved or not but I'm pretty sure it'll take me longer than 8 weeks to return to work. Where did you get yours done? I'm in NYC and the doctor I chose has been operating for 25+ years with great success rate.
    • Posted

I'm in NC. My doctor was a military surgeon who specialized in repairs to feet. I'd say podiatry but it's a bit more specific. He has assisted in the development of new prosthetics, surgical procedures and therapies aimed at saving soldiers. He is extremely passionate about his work, very caring and extremely selective. We are retired Army, my hubby a disabled veteran and my family doctor plays golf with him. All sorts of strings were pulled just to get an interview. I had to agree to follow his protocol to the letter. He was with me while in prep prep, 1.5 hrs in surgery and in my recovery room. Called to check on me after sc, and has continued close monitoring. I can call him anytime. We live just outside of Fort Bragg, his practice is in Pinehurst.
  • Posted

Hi, i am currently nealry 4 weeks after bilateral scarf/akin ostoteomy and a bunnionette, and 67. Like you I had read all the stories and of course everyone related friends horror experiences. So on the day of surgery my blood pressure was sky high with stress!!!

BUT it has been a breeze and nothing like the pain i expected.

I live alone so arranged for someone to stay overnight and the next day, after that I had all my friends on standby! But I really havent need them except for company.  

Its important to prepare well, I hired a blanket cradle for the bed and also a shower stool ( although I decied that for the first few days I could skip a few) ..

I also set my all my chargers etc where I could have access, and stocked the freezer.. I borrowed a walker from a friend which had a tray so that was invaluable

After the first two days I spent the rest of the time on the couch, I unlocked the front door in the morning  and therefore didnt have to move except for the bathroom and food.

My surgeon bandgaged the foot in such a way that there was padding under the ball of the foot so walking in the bootees was easy, a sort of heel hobble!

I also made a chart of when medications were due as its important not to get into pain situation, the most I felt was like a bad bruise.

I also followed the mantra "toes above your nose" and although it was boring I had minimum swelling, my surgeon was so pleased that he has told me I can wear other shoes in two weeks instead of four, if its comfortable

Its a long term recovery but if you are good for the first two weeks then I think you should have a good recovery. Dont rush and enjoy the rest .

Cheers   Tess  

• Posted

Thanks so much Tess for the info. I really appreciate it. I keep hearing horror stories so I've been getting more and more nervous. But stories like yours helps ease my mind. 
    • Posted

Don't be afraid! Just be prepared and listen to your doctor. It is hard but not horrible. I think that like with anything life throws at you, it is what you make it. Keep a positive attitude and look for little ways to enjoy your time off from work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.