In trouble again!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been Gluten Free for about 2 and half years but this last couple of weeks I have had 2 of the attacks that I used to experience all the time. This last one is going on every day with loads of griping pain and bowel problems and at first I could not think what I had eaten that was not G.F. Then I remembered that for the past couple of months I have been back on normal porridge (every day) having tested it and thought I was o.k with it and it is of course much cheaper!! 

So, I am wondering if this is the reason for this set-back and if so will it take long to clear my system now I have stopped eating it? When I have reacted to anything before it has always been immediate (a cup of Bovril for instance) and then after about 3 days it has settled down again. I just wonder if having something that is made in the same place as gluten products causes a build up in the system that then takes a while to get back to normal? Please let me know your experiences.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I note that Quaker markets a porridge said to be gluten free in addition to its normal range.  The implication is that the normal range is not gluten free, probably because of potential cross contamination.
    • Posted

Thanks for this Anthony, I have been eating Nairns G.F porridge for a couple of years and then a few months ago I thought that as the others said '100% Oats' on the packet it would be o.k!  But I have certainly learned the hard way that even indirect contamination is  bad! I have felt worse than for the 2 years since coming off gluten and now, after 5 days without the offending product I am just beginning to get better again!

Thinking about it, although it isn't going into the product directly, if the oats are being produced or packaged near the wheat products there is going to be  a lot of wheat dust in the air and falling into all the surrounding products. I wish I had thought this through before!! However, I have now learned my lesson and want to warn everyone else that to buy the cheaper option that warns it has not been made in a special gluten free environment......IT REALLY IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY YOU SAVE!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.