In two weeks my PSA jumped 32% (6 to 8.1). How can this happen?

Posted , 9 users are following.

November 15: PSA=6

December 4:    PSA= 8.1

32% increase in just over two weeks!!!

Tested in two different hospitals.

Should I worry or ask for another test?

For information,  I had heavy stimulation / erection but not sex / ejacukation on the night of December 3 and the morning of December 4 - a mere few hours befor my PSA test on December 4. Was that a stupid thing to do?

Incidentally, I also had my urine tested on December 4, but was advised to retest it in two days as my ‘urine culture had mixed bacteria, so a repeat urine test is needed’.

Can my urine situation explain my hugely  increased PSA level in just two weeks?

Seeing my urologist in December 13 - but quite worried now.

Thanks for any insight.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yup...., ejaculation within 24 hours prior to my PSA test increased my score, compounded by a steroid, Prednisone, I took for a lung condition at the time.
    • Posted

Can you expand, please on impact of steroids on PSA? Is it prednisone or the condition requiring to take prednisone causing increase? Just wondering, since i had huge increase in PSA from ~9-10 range to 20+ about the time I started prednisone.
  • Posted

Jeremy,

An ejaculation causes the PSA to rise so it's highly likely that the jump in your reading was caused by the timing of your ejaculation. The report of mixed bacteria in your urine sample suggests a possible prostate infection, which would also cause the PSA to rise. It's possible your doctor will prescribe Cipro to knock out any infection. Also, the next time you have your PSA taken refrain from any sexual activity for a couple of day prior to the test, otherwise the test results aren't valid.

Your PSA will rise as you get older and your prostate begins to enlarge. This happens to most men if they are over 60 years old. Depending on your age, if your PSA remains elevated your doctor will likely refer you to a Urologist for further testing. Your doctor will also do a DRE (digital rectal exam) and feel the prostate for any irregularities and will estimate its size. 

• Posted

Rom, Tom - thanks you, very helpful.

May I just clarify one thing (sorry it wasn’t clear in my post): I did NOT ejaculate although got simulated and had strong erections through the night and the morning of the PSA test. Is all this equivalent to having an ejaculation as far as PSA levels are concerned?

• Posted

These erections may have had some effect on the PSA. Urologists become concerned when the PSA rises above 4.0. Your urine sample will tell your doctor if you have an infection or not. Your age is a critical factor in all of this. The DRE will tell you if you have an enlarged prostate. The larger the prostate, the higher the PSA. 
    • Posted

The larger the prostate the higher the psa theory did not fit my case. My prostate according to a CT scan was 125 grams my PSA was .9. Also DRE is a very inexact estimation of prostate size. 3 uro did DRE and estimated my prostate to be 30 grams. Clearly they were off a bit
  • Posted

Hi Jeremy 

Not sure I can help you in this one as I am new to the prostate issues- can anyone else offer advice to Jeremy?

• Posted

Hi Jeremy,

I've been having regular (4X per year) PSA tests for about 10 years now, so am pretty familiar with what moves them. If I were in your shoes, I would reschedule for 30-45 days from now. 4 days before the test, no strenuous exercise, no bicycle or motorcycle riding, and no sex of any kind. No masturbation, no intercourse, and no sex play. In the meantime, you may want to severely reduce meat and oil, nuts, nut butters; I found it helps immensely and have been vegan for the last 10 years.

Good luck!

Fred

• Posted

Two different hospitals is one of the answers. It is advised to do the PSA tests in the same laboratory.

Sex before the PSA exam : the second answer (makes PSA higher)

Posible urinary infection the third answer.

So 3 factors that logically caused the jump (high in %, but not very significant in value! If you are over 60,

you are still in the reasonable range.

You most certainly needn't panic or repeat the test. PSA is done typically once evry 3 months at most .

Be well and relax! Zdzislaw

• Posted

Thank you everyone for putting my mind at rest. I can now see how the huge two week jump in my PSA level could have happened. I totally agree with zdzislaw and Fred.

Just remembered an incident: in 2007 I had UTI (= bacteria) with a PSA level of 18.9. Six months of antibiotics reduced it to 2.9! I think I may be going through something similar today. Thanks again guys for clarifying.

• Posted

PSAs are unreliable as disclosed by the founder over a year ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.