Inability to yawn

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I've been facing severe inability to yawn since a day.

I feel like yawning but it feels stuck and it feels so irritating.

it seems like a problem with my throat or chest as they've been too tight because of anxiety

However I'm more concerned about it thinking it as a serious medical issue.

If you have been through anything similar or knew someone who did, please share.

Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

it’s just anxiety. Try not to focus on it and just let it come naturally. Don’t wait for it to happen. You will eventually yawn and maybe you have already . if you forget about it, that’s when it will happen. Take care

• Posted

Yeah I yawned fine already but the issue keeps repeating.

I'm currently anxious about it and may be that is why I can't keep my mind off it.

Thanks.

• Posted

Its not a serious medical issue. Its your brain, your anxiety. I had experiences where I feel like I had something stuck in my throat and challenging my airway causing me to panic, but it too was just my anxiety. You need to let the yawn come naturally, dont focus on it or try to force it. As my therapist told me, you are stuck in your own head and you need to focus on something else. Go for a walk, start a project or a hobby, read, anything to get your mind off what your body is doing or what your throat and chest is doing. Pretend its not happening. Act like nothing is wrong...because nothing is wrong....its your brain playing tricks on you. Dont give into what your brain wants you to feel. You know better and you know there is nothing wrong, go about your day and focus on something else no matter how hard it is to do so.

• Posted

Thank you for your response.

It's been real hard to keep myself busy and to focus on something else.

I'll try to do it as much as I can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.