Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello to all. Since February 2016 I have been having fast heart rates. I had a 24hr halter that showed SVT. I had a Echocardiogram and Stress Test that where both normal except that on my Stress test my Cardiologyst said they noticed that my heart rate spiked up pretty quickly with little exercise. He told me then on my follow up appointment that what I had was (IST) Inappropriate sinus tachycardia. He said is not life threatening just to drink lots of watet and exercise that, that should help symptoms. He also prescribed me Metoprolol 25mg once a day which I hhave not started yet because I have read that in some patients it makes symptoms worst and referred me to a Electrophysiologist. I have a appointment with the EP Dr. In 2 weeks. I wanted to know if any of you guys have been diagnosed with IST and how has it been for you guys? Please advice. With much appreciation a newly Diagnosed IST pt.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Ruth

Sorry to hear about your heart problem.

Join the ever growing club.

I haven't been told I have svt just a very irregular rhythm. It is very scary but have been told nothing can be done about it.

I have tried beta blockers and a drug called verapamil but these have had no effect.

I have had these for about 4 years but they have gotten much worse recently. I at my wits end over what to do about them if you find any relief please share it .

Hope everything turns out OK for you.

Good luck.

Gap

• Posted

Thank you Gap.

I'm hopeful about it. At least in my case the Doctors have told me is not life threatening and I hope is the same in your case. Do you have IST or have your doctors told you what your diagnosis is?

• Posted

Dear Ruth.

No I have not been told I have ist that is a new one on me.

My diagnosis was ectopics but just recently they have been so frequent it feels more like an arrhythmia. Am seeing Dr.later this week to discuss.

Keep well.

Gap

• Posted

Hi Ruth,I know it's not much comfort but I have had missed heartbeats for about 30 years,some days just a few throughout the day and other days I get them every 10 mins or so and I am still here!!! A few years ago I was prescribed atenolol but It didn't help.Stress and anxiety over this condition doesn't help either.Easier said than done I know,as it's unpleasant when it's happening.I have now resigned myself with having to put up with the same condition but it is reassuring to know that there are others out there with the same problem.
  • Posted

Hi Ruth, I have been dx with IST I went to go see an EP and started me on corlarnor...I just started taking it this new one but I have been taking atenolol for a few month with minimal side effects...Are u taking anything right now?
    • Posted

No not right now. I saw my EP less than a month ago and He said I don't need to take anything if my symptoms are not to bothersome. They originally started me on Metoprolol 25mg once a day but I got to scare of my heart and body becoming dependant of it that I never took it. My heart rate on rest ranges from 80 to 110 Lol but it goes up much higher with a simple walk. I f/u with my Cardiologyst in 6m so by September 2016. I am drinking lots of water however, and trying to exercise at least 3 times a week for about 30 to 40 mins. My heart rate goes to like 180 when I exercise but it doesn't bother all that much. My heart besides the Tachycardia is Normal and my Doctor told me and reassured me this is not life threatening and He did said that at times it resolves on its own in some cases. So I'm hopeful and praying that one day it will all just go away.
    • Posted

ooh I am glad that is working for u...I think the exercise part and drinking water is extremely important...as for me I think I need the medications...If I dont take them I get the episodes quitw often...the worst part is that I am an RN and my job is very stressfull which creates more anxiety and of course increases my heart rate...I wish I didnt have annepisose that often to be able to stop the meds...did they tell u..it was IST or just Sinus tach... I also have alot of anxiety and kinda worry too much...how about u?
    • Posted

I was first told it was SVT but after a cardiac work up of a 24hr halter test, Echo and Stress Test my Cardiologyst agreed that what I had was IST. On one of my F/U app at the Cardiologyst my heart rate was 143bpm for no reason, I remember the Nurse taking a double look at the reading but I was and felt ok. Go figure. I was then referred to the EP and he agreed with my General Cardiologyst of the Dx of IST. Like for example I'm typing this msg right now and my heart rate is at 107bpm and I'm in my bed. Is funny I'm a CPCT in the health care field. If you read up about it most people that are affected by IST are woman in their late 20's, I'm 28 and in the healthcare field. Sure I get worried and I still worried at times. I wish IST was better understood and that there would be a more clear view of what it is than just treating symptoms. When I first noticed symptoms I was obsessed with checking my pulse every 15mins or so. I lost 10lbs in a week because of how worried and concerned I was about. I started to constantly search on Google for the prognosis of my symptoms and I was going crazy because at the time I didn't know what I had. All this started for me on Feb 3rd 2 days before my 28th Birthday I was constantly crying my husband didn't know what else to do. Thank God for family support and Faith though. My family was my strength and although I know not everyone believes in God I do with all my strength and the combination of my Faith, Family and Providers reassurance helped me be more at peace with my Dx of IST. I guess I rather Hope and have Faith than worry. Sure I get my days when I still cry cause it is scary at times and you ask yourself "Ok heart, why are you beating out of control when I'm just sitting" or I have worried about Sudden Cardiac Death and the list goes on but I just busy myself in my to do's ask God to take control and carry on. I have learned in my short time with this diagnosis to ignore the symptoms if they are not to bad and just carry on with the beat of my heart. I advice asking your Cardiologyst and EP as many questions as you can. Don't be shy, question medications and symptoms, Great communication with your providers will help give you and provide the best care plan for you. 😊
    • Posted

Hi Ruth, I am glad I messaged u because just how u are describing everything u went through I am going through it right now...I have just been in bed reading about IST and have also came accross Sudden Cardiac Death which scares me more...I also have my days when I am ok and then theres days when I am in a constant worry which just makes matters worse...I need to learn to accept my dx and go with the symptoms insteas of fighting them..I am also young I am 32 and this started last October Ive had all the test also and everything has been normal...I have had 2 abnormal ekg though but it was mainly due to low pottasium since I also have IBS which makes things worse...I also lost weight and have managed to gain it back...and this is crazy how the majority of us with this dx are younger female in the health care field...My mom has been telling me to pray alot and put my worries to God and dont worry as much...Its just hard to not worry I have always been the kind to think too much and be hypochondriac...I also have good family and friends support which helps me...I have not been working out lately but will start tomm I am only 118 lbs so theres no reason for mw not to be more active...I agree with u that there should be more research or understanding about this condition cause like u I was first told it was svt then ist...and when I explain it to my friends or family they have no idea what I am talking about...At first they thought it was just anxiety as well as the doctors...I will ask my EP more questions I hope I see him soon at da hospital since we have patients together here n there...btw ur way of coping has inspire me to do the same and not be so afraid...
    • Posted

I'm glad to hear that Denise. Trust me it really does help to know someone going through the same things you are going through. IST is not understood by many I have found. Even most physicians don't know what it truly is. I also have PVC's and PAC's here and there and I sometimes get out of breath or dizzy, my vision gets sometimes foggy and it truly is all scary and you try to wrap your head around the fact that if everything is ok like the Dr's say than why are you feeling these symptoms that are far from normal. Ok and abnormal symptoms should never go in the same sentence. I was put on vitamin b12 and vitamin D 4 days ago by my Primary Care Physician who said I have a Vitamin b12 and D deficiency. I'm not sure how this affects my diagnosis but whatevet it is I just need to keep carrying on. I was told it was anxiety also at one point and was given anxiety meds which I have not touched like the Metoprolol. I don't know if I'll beed the meds in the future or if my IST will resolve on it's own. I figured is like living with Asthma. You sometimes have bad and good days and the bad days you feel like you can't breathe but then it gets better. Learn to know your triggers. I stay away from caffeine, and am really trying to loose wt because unlike you I'm over weight. But Little by Little. Trust me I understand you. That feeling of worrying and the thoughts that don't let you forget that theres something wrong with your heart is overwhelming. I get those feelings too but I'm choosing to trust God and know that He is in control of every beat in my heart. I wish I didn't have this but I understood that in order for me to get my mental health better I first needed to understand and accept the fact that I now have this and that Yes I may have to do some things a bit differently but if thats the price to pay vs loosing my mind and worrying every day than I'll learn to accept it make the appropriate changes and continue to live and enjoy this precious life I have been given. I pray all goes well for you from this moment forward and that you find peace and even thought the days of worrying may come to haunt you, that you be filled with strength to beat what at the end of the day are only thoughts.
    • Posted

Ruth u brought tears to my eyes ..ur words are soo encouraging and its amazing how someone we dont know can brighten up our days with words just like u did thank u...I also have all those weird symptoms PACs, sob, dizziness and I sometimes even feel my heart pauses...sooo scary but ur right we dont get anything good out of worrying and living in fear or just crying and thinking or waiting for symptoms to happen...I have had days when I feel I am mentally unstable just because of all the worrying and crying ..ur way of thinking is inspiring...Im gonna change my way of thinking and start being more positive and living day by day enjoying the good days and making the best out out of the worst...Hope u continue to not need the medications I am going to try and wing off of them lil by lil...and maybe one days these crazy abnormal symptoms we get resolve and we can live a normal healthy live...thanks for ur kind words...Lets keep in touch 😊
    • Posted

Yes. Lets 😉 Blessings to you and your family, and any time. It brings joy to me to hear that in some way I can help specially about something so personal to me because I live it day to day. A healthy life starts with a positive attitude and approach to life. Let us continue to live life as if we dont have IST. Still cautious of course but not so much that we forget to live life after all it was what my EP advice infact he encouraged me to live life with no limits. Lol I can even do roller coaster. I Love rollercoasters. Please do stay in touch. I wish you the very best. 😊
    • Posted

U couldnt of said it better...Lets live life like we dont have IST!!!Wish u the best too girlie 😊😇
    • Posted

Can I ask with this does your heart change constantly my heart rate is like 61 in a second it can be 120 ect when I stand it like changes every second from 140 -159-179 ect all in seconds I don't know what's going on I've been discharged with no explanation accept I heard the doctor says sinus tachycardia but it goes low when I sit ?? Like still flickers like 68 89 90 ect within seconds I just don't understand this
    • Posted

Hi Stephx,

Yes and No. I just checked my Heart rate and I'm at rest in my bed and is at 91bpm when I stand it changed to 95-98bpm. One thing to understand with IST is that besides the Tachycardia the heart is absolutely Normal. It was frustrating for me when I first started feeling my symptoms because I kept being told nothing is wrong with your heart and I would stay there thinking " then why is my heart beating out of control?" If all other heart problems have been ruled out IST is a rhythm disturbance thath originates from the SA Node the hearts pace maker, because the disturbance comes from the SA Node this disturbance wont be picked up in a EKG/ ECG that is why IST is rarely considered a heart arrhythmia. IST is misunderstood by many including physicians and research contonues to be a challenge. Because IST is not a life threatening heart condition if your symptoms are to bad then the provider will treat the symptoms. If your symptoms are not to bad like in my case then for the most part treatment is not required. Another thing to consider and rule out is POTS Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. IST and POTS can be very similar and treatments may be different. Ask your Cardiologyst to rule out POTS before diagnosing you with IST. I actually recommend you see a Electrophysiologist. A EP provider is also a Cardiologyst but they focus on heart rhythm disturbances. So Yes and No because I have had moments when my heart is in th 80's and then boom I stand up and is in like 100bpm or 110bpm but it has never jumped to 120 or 140 by just standing up. Then again my heart has not reached the 60's since February 2016 Lol. The lowest I have recorded my heart to be has been 77bpm which is normal . I advice you not to stress yourself to much about it. Yes is worry some, Yes it is scary but remember IST is not life threatening. Treatment is available to help treat symptoms if you are symptomatic but a lot of the time is a trial error case so just be patient about it. Take it day by day and make sure to have a open communication with your Provider so they can better help you. Remember IST are hypersensitive to the adrenaline our body produces so too much worrying, anxiety or stress can worsen symptoms. Like I mentioned above, take it day by day. Drink lots of fluids, try to stay as active as you can stay away from anything that may be a trigger and continue to live life as normal as possible 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.