Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia - with a twist.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 21yo female, reasonably fit and healthy. I was recently diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia or IST, with a HR consistently above 100 BPM even at rest, and with gentle exercise - I can expect it to easily exceed 200 BPM. I spent months dealing with extreme shortness of breath, fatigue, palpitations, lightheadedness and nausea, without relief. I thought I was just exhausted/burnt out. I continued to exercise at the usual rate but I found that I started to struggle to even walk up a flight of stairs. I had a holter monitor fitted and was immediately referred to a cardiologist. Holter showed regular ventricular and supra ventricular ectopics as well as bigeminy/triggering runs as my tachycardia. I underwent an echo and a cardiac stress test with the cardio and received my diagnosis that week. Whilst they are confident about the IST, my doctors have recently raised their concerns about the frequency of my ectopic beats, particular during exercise. I notice them and they frequently trigger a rapid and irregular heart rate. I am taking corolan/ivabradine for the tachycardia (a relatively experimental treatment, but an effective one) at the highest dose to slow my HR. It cant however, fix the ectopics/triggers. I have completely lost my ability to exercise over the last few months and I am really struggling to regain it. My cardio is at a complete loss as to the cause of my condition and why it is getting progressively worse. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Gardasil is really bad news for some people.  Check out POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardic syndrome) and Gardasil links.
    • Posted

interesting read, thanks! I had the injection about 8 years ago now but only really started developing symptoms in the last 3 years, and reached crisis point about 18 months ago.
  • Posted

Gardasil doesn’t necessarily cause it I have IST and I never had Gardasil. Many people develop it without this immunisation. It could be coincidental ie mine got worse during teen years but I had ist as a young child too 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.