Incapacity Allowance

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am on long time incapacity benefit and have received the relevant paperwork to fill in regarding ESA. I have had my face to face for PIP and I was rewarded with higher mobility and lower personal care which is what I was on with DLA. Will the process be the same? Will I have to have a face to face? Can I take my husband with me. I was a nervous wreck when I had my PIP face to face I now have to go through it all again. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

The process is similar in the fact that most people are sent for a face 2 face assessment. You'll be asked questions based on what you wrote on the ESA50 form but that's where the similarities stop. ESA is about the work you can do and not the work you can't do, so at the assessment you'll be assessed for any type of work. There's 2 possible groups the WRAG and Support Group. Being placed in the WRAG you'll need to score points during the assessment, over 15 points will get you into the WRAG group. The Support Group isn't about points, it's about meeting those Support Group descriptors. I would advice you to send in evidence with that ESA50 form. Some people have a paper based decision but this is very rare. If an assessment is needed, the length of time depends on the backlog in your area. Yes you can take someone with you. When you do go to the assessment, make sure you don't just answer with a yes or no. Explain in as much detail as possible. Your husband can remind you of things if you forget but you'll have to do most of the talking.

When you say lower care for PIP, i'm guessing you mean Standard daily living? As there is no lower rate of daily living for PIP, like there was for DLA. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Having said all of the above, are you absolutely sure you're still claiming IB? All of those that were claiming that should have been migrated over by now. Are you sure you're not recieving ESA and don't realise it? Some claimants were automatically migrated over whilst others had to have a face 2 face assessment. Please check your bank for what it says next to your payments. I'm fairly certain everyone finished migrating a couple of years ago eek

Either way that ESA50 form will need to be filled out and returned by the date stated on the letter. There's no extention of time for ESA. If it's not returned by that date your benefit will stop and you'll be found fit for work. Good luck.

• Posted

Sorry I am on ESA  higher mobility and standard personal care do I presume the assessor knows about this and has access to my records.   Thanks for your help. 
    • Posted

ESA and PIP are completely different benefits. People claim PIP and work. The assessors won't know about your PIP claim because they're not linked. You can of course state what your PIP award is on the ESA50 form. Although depending on your reasons for the Enhanced mobility PIP then you maybe able to use the assessment report from PIP for ESA evidence. Each ESA review is classed as a new claim, which means they don't use any previous evidence. You'll need to send in evidence to support your claim. Most people have a face 2 face assessment, a paper based decision is rare. Are you in WRAG or Support group?

• Posted

No I'm not in WRAG or support group. Excuse my ignorance I'm not sure what they are. Didn't realise they wouldn't  know my history. So like PIP I attach all my reports and consultant  letters. Would it help if I got a letter from my doctor. Would be nice to know what sort of questions they will ask and what to look out for. 

• Posted

Hmm i'm confused, so you you transfered from Incapacity Benefit to ESA? Or are you confusing Incapacity Benefit with ESA? Incapacity Benefit finished for new claimants in 2008 and it's now called ESA.

How much ESA money do you recieve weekly? if you don't mind me asking? This will help me know exactly whether or not you're in one of those groups, or just assessment rate only.

Yes send any evidence you have, except future appointment letters as these aren't evidence and won't be taken into consideration. They won't know your history because as i said ESA and PIP are completely different. Just because a person recieves PIP does not mean they're unfit for any type of work.

The questions they will asked you will be based on what you put in the form, so keep a copy of it for yourself to refer back to before you go to that assessment. It's similar to PIP BUT has different criteria. They'll be watching you from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. All the time you're there being asked questions the assessment provider will be thinking of any type of work you're able to do. It's complicated but there's plenty of info on the internet but i'm unable to post any links here, sorry.

• Posted

I get £219.30 every fortnight. Thank you for your help. Your help got me through PIP so fingers crossed for ESA 

• Posted

Thanks. This amount tells me you're claiming Contribution based and you are actually in the Support Group, this would pay £109.65 per week. I'm guessing yourhusband works? and this is why you don't recieve any of the Income Related premiums on top.  The Support Group is for those who have a limited capability for work related activity.

My above advice still applies. Each ESA50 form a claimant fills in is classed as a new claim. You're previous evidence will NOT be taken into account for this. Please make sure that you send the evidence with you form and send it recorded delivery. As i said in a earlier post that form MUST be returned to DWP and arrive at the relevant department by the date on the letter. They will not give any extra time for you to return that form. If it's not returned by that date you'll be found fit for work and your ESA money will stop.

I'm glad to hear my advice helped you with your PIP claim, that does make me smile. It's makes all my time spent advicing people here even more worth while. Good luck.

• Posted

My husband doesn't work,  he is now my carer and claims carers allowance. You deserve praise I've been reading past posts trying to gleam as much information as I can and you post on most of them giving people help. 

• Posted

What other benefit does your husband claim besides Carers Allowance? With the amount of ESA that you're claiming he's not on your ESA claim. It doesn't sound like your ESA payments are correct as your husband isn't working. Please tell me exactly what you and your husband claim and how much please. This way i can work out exactly if it's right or wrong. At the moment something doesn't seem right.

Thank you. Yes i'm by far the most active person here. My knowledge does help a lot of people. Although there are things i don't know still. The benefit system is very complex.

• Posted

Also do you claim housing benefit and council tax reduction?
    • Posted

Blimey Denise I'm not claiming anything else other than pip and esa. My husband retired 3 years ago and we downsize so he is now my carer and claims carers allowance are these means tested??

• Posted

I receive £219.30 per fortnight ESA. As for PIP I get a mobility car and £222.60 every 4 weeks 

• Posted

So what else does your husband claim besides the carers allowance? As he's retired a pension maybe? Your husband must be claiming something other than the carers allowance? I'm trying to help to make sure you're claiming what you should be claiming. It sounds like something isn't right.

• Posted

is it possible to private message you not sure I want to post my personal finiances for everyone to see. Thanks Denise. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.