Incision

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone else have an incision that isn’t perfectly straight?! Hopefully, that’s ok. LOL

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes I do ! Mine is curved but looks ok. It's quite red where the most of the swelling was ,but really thin where the pull on the skin was less. I asked about it , it's probably down to your knee and rhe surgeon! I don't think it's anything to worry about .

• Posted

Thanks LOL I just was wondering why not a straight line... did he slip lol but I was sure that wasn’t the case. I have reddening around scar and still swelling! 7 week’s post op
    • Posted

Mine was 8th April . I also have the mark where the drain was as you heal more , it'll look better anyway . I've got a very long thin scar which was cut twice on my shin from 78 /79 and that one is straight . Knee is curved joint .

• Posted

Excellent point knee is curved lol of course didn’t think of that! Does your knee feel good now?
    • Posted

Still long haul recovery but I've recouped my lost height 1 and half inches and can stand straight !! Ive got a very atrophied quad due to the enhanced swelling ..and knee is invariably better when it's sunny and warm ! It swells after walking ..so I know I must increase the muscle

• Posted

You will get there! I understand it can take a full year to recover and for swelling to go down permanently so you’re right long haul wink
  • Posted

My surgeon has always used the crescent style incision. The explanation, it puts less strain on the incision when the knee bends. In my case this was started by a rare tumor that caused horrific bleeding ( 3 scope surgeries and 5 aspirations that removed over 1000 cc of blood plus radiation in less than 90 day) so the joint needed all the help it could get. A total of 11 surgeries and the knee looks like a deboned hunk of beef.
    • Posted

I learned something new today. That makes total sense. I’d never considered the benefit of the curved incision. My incision, as well, is curved.

Thank you for the explanation!

• Posted

Hi Robin.

mine is ok it just doesn't look straight when I bend my knee I have been using Bio-oil on my scar and Arnica gel as well for the bruising I'm very pleased with how it's all going I had my TKR in June.

i hope it all works out well for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.