Incision Healing

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 6 weeks post op from L4/L5/S1 fusion. My surgeon did 2 cuts either side of my spine but they seem to be taking a while to heal. The left one opened up slightly at the bottom & had to be dressed 3 times a week with an iodine dressing which helped & I no longer have to go for redressing but the scab is still taking time to heal. The right one was doing ok but now also has a scan at the bottom which is sometimes damp then scans up. It is tender to sit or lie on the incisions for long but what else can you do. Has anyone else had any problems with the incisions or is it normal to take this long?

Thanking you in anticipation.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, you are only 6 weeks out. Give it more time.  That's a big surgery.  Two incisions is not bad for a 3 level fusion!  My doctor choose to put an incision at each level - I had a 5 level fusion.  Had problems with mine, but the doctor knew right away there was a problem  One of the screws didn't go in right, ended up the L5-S1 fusion has failed. Had it re-done, and it's failed again. Can't find a doctor who will touch it now. 

Make sure you wear your belt like you are supposed to, and if they gave you a bone stimulator, make sure you do that too.  It really does make a difference.  Good luck to you.  Take it easy.  Don't try to push it going back to work.  Take off 6 months if you need to.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your message, you are right that 6 weeks isn't long & I must learn to be a more patient patient. Time just drags but I certainly won't hurry back to work as at this moment I couldn't cope with it & definitely don't want to attempt driving for some time.I wasn't given a belt as my surgeon doesn't use them or a bone stimulator.I was just given one exercise by the physios & that was it.I'm sorry to hear you had alot of problems with yours & that your L5/S1 was a failure, I do read alot that that level can often fail because of where it is.I don't think I would want to go through any more surgery after this so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't happen.I hope you will be ok & perhaps someone will help with your L5/S1 one day.Are you in the UK & when did you have your surgery done ?

Take care too.

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

I'm in the US - Arizona for now.  Moving to Idaho in October or so.

Anyway, I was hurt in a car accident in 2003 when I was 49.  Went throu all sorts of physical therapy, injections, all sorts of crap. First surgery in 2007 by an incompent back surgeon who actually removed part of a disc and left it like that with bone fragments and everything.  Struggled for many years not to have more surgery, but my disc collapsed and I was bent 40 degrees to the left, developed neuropathy in my right foot which I still have, and couldn't walk without a walker.  In 2013, I had 3 surgeries over a 2 day period. A lateral fusion on the left side to straighten me up. Put in a cage and everything.  Damaged my femoral nerve so now I have deep aching and burning in my left thigh constantly.  Same day they went through my stomach and fused me from L3-L5 from the inside. Next day flipped me over and fused L2-S1. Went back to work 6 months later. Unable to drive due to foot pain (still don't), but thank God there is a taxi service here for disabled. Anyway, too much pain sitting. L5-S1 fusion failed. Had it re-fused May 2014.  Went back to work - again - too much pain to sit. Had a Medtronic neurostimulator put in Dec 2014 (2nd one) but the surgeon put it in the wrong place so it doesn't work.  Found out L5-S1 fusion failed again, Surgeons won't touch me now. Decided not to go back to work - I had long term disability insurance - got screwed out of that - said I was short of the elimination period by 3 days.  So now I have no income. I'm on state medical aid and food stamps. Live with my boyfriend who supports me until I can get social security disability. Tried to sue my doctor, but couldn't get an attorney tolisten to me.  They want nursing home abuse, car accidents, etc.

They want to put in the Nevro Sensa HF10 neurostimulator which is fairly new to the US.  I  have my doubts.

Anyway, all this probably won't happen to you.  I wish you the best of luck.  Take your time healing.  I personally think you should at least be wearing a belt. I think you should push for that.

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

I had Lamenectomy/ fusion L4/5 S1. No problem healing with my incision but numbness in my left foot. Surgery was 13 months ago and numbness not so bad now. My problem was I didn't fuse completely after 11 mo the so now I wear a bone stimulator 4 hours a day. Very depressing cuz now my pAin Is just as bad as before surgery and this time with screws to make me stiff in this New England weather. Ugh. Hope you do well and please if you have phyisical therapy, follow through and Continue well after your therapy ends. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. Pam

• Posted

Hi Pam,

I had a fusion L2-S1. The L5-S1 fusion has failed twice. New doctors won't touch me, and I'm not going back to the old one again!  Yeah, they promise you the surgery will help with the pain, but it rarely does when you have such an extensive surgery. Glad your numbness in your foot is better. I have neuropathy in my right foot which is very painful, and now I am getting numbness in my left foot after the last fusion.  I've had 5 back surgeries and 2 neurostimulators, and now I'm considering a new neurostimulator called the Nevro.  I have all sorts of screws in my back, but I live in AZ and don't have much stiffness.  However, I'm moving to Idaho this fall, so I am a little concerned.  What part of New England? I lived in Massachusetts as a child.  It was beautiful!

Good luck to you,

Linda

• Posted

Tracey ,make sure you keep the wounds dry ie after showering etc ,and keep  look out for infections and make sure to let the air at the wound too, early days yet but i sympathise with you .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.