Incision Scars TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with keloid scarring on their incision?? Looks like I have some keloid scarring on my incision. If so does anyone know of anything to help the scar??

Thanks!

Melissa

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

HEY MELISSAI heal with keloids too.

TYPICALLY keloids are an overgrowth of skin and commonly result in scarring! I'm just over a year since my RTKR.... i have a large scar over my knee and its been recommended I MASSAGE AND RUB AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE! HOWEVER, of greater concern to me is the likely keloid scarring thats within the joint itself. I HAVE NEVER SURPASSED 110 degrees..... and I FEEL ITS AS A RESULT OF KELOIDS, How far post surgery are you? How do you feel your actual joint is doing????

• Posted

Hi! So glad to see someone that has this scarring as well! Thank you!

My flex is at 110 currently @ 8 weeks post op. The joint is doing really good. I'm 110 and 0. My Surgeon just diagnosed me with this scarring about a week ago and told me no worries, it's just the way I healed. Since then I have been researching and trying to educate myself on this type of scarring. I feel like it's sore and itchy often, it rubs and irritates on my pants and is not very flexible and a bit restricting on my bend.The keloid is only on the top portion of the insicion ,but it starts on the knee itself and goes up. I read a few things like aloe is good? cortisone? lemon juice? And many other remedies. I was just looking for advice from someone that may know what works first hand.

Thanks!

Melissa

• Posted

I had R TKR in Aug 2018. Got full range but 2/3 of it is now Keloid or depending on which Dr I see Hypertrophic. It looks horrible and purplish. Have done bio oil massage since 10 days. Was looking it up on Internet as to what to do. Got full range and no pain. But dislike it. I think mine was because knee was so enormously swollen after staples were out it stretched scar. Now swelling gone it's just filled in the space. Have had 2 Caesarians, 1x keyhole for gallbladder, various scars from falls as a kid and none of them are like this! I am due to have the other one done next year and am not happy at idea of 2 such ugly scars. Am really self conscious about it as part of it looks so good. Plus it's sensitive to clothing so tights are an irritant so now wearing more trousers. Oh well am thankful though to have had it done.

• Posted

Hi C-C,

Yes that you mention, I have scars as well that never healed like this. I am also self conscious of the way it looks. I am 8 weeks post op RTKR. I am also a few weeks away from having LTKR. If I have 2 scars that look like this I will not be swimming anytime soon. I am happy with the outcome, my new knee is getting so strong and solid as time passes. I guess I can deal with 2 ugly scars if I have 2 functioning knees!

Good luck with yours too!

Melissa

• Posted

scarring on outside is way better than scarring on inside.

• Posted

exactly.... but it makes sense if their is scarring on the skin its likely to happen inside too!

• Posted

I had bad scar tissue, no matter how much I did at PT. so I had to have surgery to get rid of it, and a manipulation. was troublesome!! and painful.

• Posted

I have a fibrous tissue on my knee just left of the scar. I have been massaging from when scar healed with bio oil and Aveeno. However surgeon is to get rid of it when he operates on my other knee so hopefully that will be it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.