Incision very sore, hard and a bit swollen (5 wks post)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow (TAH/BSO) and think I did a bit too much yesterday (Bank holidays are always extra housework days confused).

I know I lifted something and at the time I thought I shouldnt have lifted that, and now I think I am paying the price.

How do you know when you have overdone it?  How do you know if/when you have done damage?  I assume a sore incision is the norm, but my belly is a little puffed and tender to touch.  Is that just my tummy's way of saying this time you are lucky... dont do it again!!!

I am a fool to myself but normally being a very active and a fit 47 year old, and brought up to work, I tend to push myself, or believe I can keep going.  I did stop eventually as thought no, thats enough and felt quite tired.

But am just concerned a bit about my tummy.  Its hurts/stings more right at the very ends of the incision

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Also hurts/is quite tender in the area underneath the incision on left hand side 
    • Posted

I am 7 weeks post op tomorrow following the same op.I have been very mobile since the op but i noticed quite a pulling quite a bit especially on the left hand side of the scar.My stomach also felt tender to touch a few times.There is a lot of healing to be done and it takes time and you shouldn't be lifting anything too heavy yet.I am still not liftinf anything too much.I am due to go back to work in 2 weeks but only part time and lighter duties.I go away at the end of June so i am being cautious of what i do as i don't want to do any damage now.I keep reading that weeks 6-8 are the danger weeks that more damage can be done than any other time.I do feel more tired now and i understand this is quite normal for this time.I would get yourself checked if you are still in oain.It is better to be safe than sorry.

Take care

Teresa

xxx

• Posted

Sorry anout the spelling.Not sleeping at all well,so i am getting up feeling worn out before the day starts On hrt but it isn't working.

xxx

• Posted

I am 3 weeks post op. Iam mobile but only to walk round the house. If I try to to anything more than that I got twinges or stabbing pains. I too am sore in the scar area especially left side. I put this down to this being the side I have ro roll onto to get myself out of bed. Last week thought things were improving I sat at my PC and did a bit of work in the morning. Then Saturday had bad burning pain and spent most of sun mon in bed that seems to have eased it. My sister in law surgeon says that there are stitches  underneath  the scar that can snag and cause pain. This happens more if over doing plus I am 52 so not healing as well or quickly as when 38 with c section and it is a second cut so hurts more. She said reflect on progress week by week not day by day.
  • Posted

Hi Susie

I had the same operation as you and also at the 5 week stage. This also happens to me, I think it's natures way of telling you that you have overdone things, a couple of days rest, still up and about but not to do housework at the pace you did it before, take it a little bit easier. My tummy was the same extremely swollen, tender, and really quite sore to touch, please take care xx

• Posted

Thanks Denise.

Did you go to doctors?

I am sure like you say a bit of rest for a few days will settle the swelling down.

Just worried done something inside but trying to see who else had similar symptoms from over doing it and am I just panicking a bit.

• Posted

My tummy has been like that a few times, and I know myself I have overdone things, but I would always stress if you have any worries or concerns phone your gp, to put your mind at rest.

My gp is great I've been twice since I was discharged (at her request) to make sure everything is ok.

Your wee body has been through great ordeal, and it will take time to heal. If your anything like me I was constantly on the go and find it very difficult to accept help or to sit back and relax all day.

• Posted

Relax isn't in my vocabulary. Before my op I was on the go all the time and only stopped when my head hit that pillow at night.

My mum has helped a lot but I don't like asking her.. Am too independent... And too stubborn lol

Will give docs a call tomorrow... See if I can get in. Sitting at table with feet up on chair today doing work from home.

Did your gp give you any tablets or just a telling off smile

• Posted

She understood, and knows my non domesticated husband.

she prescribed some ibuprofen to ease swelling these have helped. Frustration is the worst, but it does get better, I've also started HRT which will take time to work, I just need to be a little more patient.

Good support pants, elasticated trousers, nice cake of chocolate and good luck.

You'll get there, and hopefully the swelling will go down quickly

Xxxxx

• Posted

When I overdone it my tummy was swollen and tender to touch also pain in tummy yea this is your body telling you off x
    • Posted

Thanks shazlee

Don't worry I consider myself well and truly told off. Just bit worried now.

Did you got to doctors or have to have any surgery or get given any anti inflammatories?

Did you have the lump along or at the end of your incision?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.