Incisional hernia

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi. Has anyone out there had an incisional hernia using mesh? I have mine in 3 weeks. It will be open surgery. I'm not over worried about it, just wondering about other people's experiences. Would it help to lose some weight? I am about 93kg and 171 cm tall. (About 14 1/2 stone and 5'8" I think!) Male, aged 68. The hernia followed an infection in the wound after bowel Cancer surgery 11 months ago. Thanks. 

0 likes, 111 replies

111 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was NHS and placed on waiting list for op around 15th October. I feel lucky to have not had to wait long and not had any dates cancelled. My op went ahead on 28th November and lasted less than 2 hours (anaesthesia went in at 3pm and back in recovery and awake at 5pm). My stay in hospital was 4 days. Longer than predicted due to a temperature that kept spiking up.  Came out with strong pain releif and antibiotics for infections in other places that I didn't have when I went in but the op went well and no sign of infection around there. I have been very tired and very sore since, especially on movement, coughing is bad and a sneeze is worse. I have not had any nausea thank goodness. My drain came out on the 4th day and the wound has been ok since, no hardness or swelling. MB started 2nd day and very loose with disgusting smell and still loose but not green and smally now. Today everything is much calmer and I now feel I am on the mend, though it still hurts..
  • Posted

In prev comment - Meant smelly not smally... Op was for incisional hernia low on right side of abdomen and I was told I did have mesh put in to help due to  weak muscles, or none at all at bottom of rupture, and avoid having to stitch to "bone". I was told recurrence is high but trying not to think about that. It is a hell of a large incision. Bruising too. Tip from surgeon was to buy pantee girdle and hold when moving area of wound in first 2 weeks and take care for 2 months. I have and though scary to wear at first have persevered and seems to be helping.  Stitches (that are clips) out next Tuesday 10th December.
    • Posted

Hi

Thank you for your reply,  I am glad you are doing well.  Did you have a lot of pain before the operation, mine is intermitent but very,very painful,  I just wondered if this was normal.  Thanks again

• Posted

Hi. Interesting to compare experiences. I'm now 3 weeks after surgery. Still a bit tender but sleeping better without having to worry about the drains. Nurse sent me to GP to check on an itchy rash but he said it was irritation from dressings etc. Have ointment called Beta Cream O.1% which has helped. Now I am going through a phase of thinking every bump is another hernia starting, but he said no. Hope he's right, I see the surgeon on Friday. BMs much the same, about twice a day and loose, but no one seems bothered about that. Also look a bit bloated, but again, no one is bothered! So I'll try not to be as well! So, just carry on it seems. Good luck to you all and a quick recovery! 
    • Posted

A slight setback. The district nurse says that there is fluid which built up after the drains were removed. They think one of them was blocked, so I now feel bloated and uncomfortable. Aspiration drainage has been mentioned. Also the term seroma. Looks like a needle and hopefully some relief. Anyone else had this procedure? I see the surgeon tomorrow afternoon. 😳
    • Posted

Yes it needs to be drained. But have to wait another week. I think the surgeon was keen to get away for his CHRISTMAS break. One of his colleagues will do it. 
    • Posted

Well, that's the drainage done. He took out 175 ml which didn't seem that much, but he put the needle in three different places. It didn't hurt at all! There were warnings of infection etc, but they probably have to say that. Back again in Feb, unless I notice some problem. The nurse jiggled my stomach and said that some of it may be me! Huh! Probably right. So I hope I can sleep better tonight and become more 'normal.' 
  • Posted

Hi Isabel, It was not as painful as you describe yours to be. It was uncomfortable though and I would get twinges of pain on changing position in bed or twisting round whilst stretching for something. It used to tell me it was there on those occasions. Everyones pain threshold is different though. Suppose it is where you live regarding waiting list times. I hope after your scan you get something done. One thing comes to mind is that even though I have had ops for cancer tumours in the past they did not cause me a lot of pain before diagnosis,but  other signs identified them. With the hernia I was told last year - when I refused an op - to go to A&E if it becomes very painful as it could strangulate. Bless you I hope you get sorted you shouldn't have to pay.
    • Posted

Hi

Thank you. I have now had another scan a CT scan (I paid)  and had to drink something (It was not too bad) and a injection of substance that goes around your body, so I am having a good check up!  My pain is like I imagine being stabbed.  I have a good pain threshold usually.  I have had a private consultation he sent me for this scan and he said the hernia is over the same place as my old operation scar. I remember the last hernia there and I soon recovered, and it was the same pain as this so maybe its where it is,   near my bowels! I think that what sticks through now and then!  We will see.  Thanks for the reply

Isobel

• Posted

Hi John How's it going. I am well into my third week since surgery and still feeling sore but better than it was. Strange shapes around the wound. Not sure if normal. I can feel movement of my insides at night which involuntary and is painful. However am sure all is as it should be at this stage. Bowels less loose now but not to the point of having to strain thank goodness. Got taken out for first time yesterday just to a cafe for breakfast - was great to get out of 4 walls. I guard my wound with my hand as if carrying jewels from dawn til dusk and continue to wear M&S support panties as advised. All seems to be working. Can't wait until after 4th week when I can drive myself. Still taking pain killers but down to paracetemal only. Hope your getting relief from bloating and you are more comfortable now. 
    • Posted

Hi Joan. Good to hear from you. You seem to be doing ok and will probably have a check up soon which will reassure you? My bloating will hopefully be sorted  this afternoon. I just wish he will take out a litre or so as it is quite uncomfortable and I'm not very nice to live with these days I am told. My appt is in about 7 hours and I'll let you know. (I'm in NZ which is why the times are different. It's 4.44 am now and I don't sleep very well!) I am driving again and don't wear those white stockings any more. 😎 Cheers...
    • Posted

Hi John 01315 and joan 38443,

I had my test that I had to drink the substance (which was fine) for.  I have been to see the doctor and I have 2 hernias he said one was in the stoma hole, I said I havent had one of those but we thought abought it and it was decided it was a drain hole from one of my ops eg. hysterctomy or previous hernia,  I am paying so it is operation is  7th January,2015.  So here I go on the big adventure, that you have both had and are on the other side, lucky things!  My operation has to go through my previous scar.  Thank you for all your comments.  I will let you know how I got on, when I am the other side of it like you!  Merry Christmas.

• Posted

Good luck Isobel for January. I had a bowel op some 30 years ago with a drain and the doctors often think drain scar is a stoma scar. I lost large bowel but had resection and no iliostomy which has lasted well. The hernia was through another old scar in my case. Enjoy the hols best you can. You too John.
    • Posted

Well, here we go again. Happy New Year! I spent mine back in hospital as I developed an infection in the wound and am now left with a hole where they cleaned it up. It has to be dressed each day at home by the district nurse and she is happy with the healing. I was in hospital 6 days, feeling fine but very bored! BUT NOT EVERYONE WILL GET AN INFECTION, so don't worry. The same thing happened after the bowel Cancer surgery and that healed in time. Taking it easy. Best of luck. 😊
    • Posted

That does not sound good, John. Had my follow up appointment today - 6 weeks after operation. Told consultant it was a good job it wasn't New Years Day as pain was unbearable then but now has subsided and just feels sore/ tender now but it's above not on the incision . After examination he said all was well and the internal sutures holding the mesh are likely causing the soreness and will go less over time. No need to be seen again. Feel guilty that all is so good for me. You sound calm having had infection before. Hope it heals soon and heals well for you.
    • Posted

Hi Isobel. All over now I hope. Home very soon and a speedy recovery. Let us know how you got on when you are up to it. Best wishes. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.