Incisional hernia

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi. Has anyone out there had an incisional hernia using mesh? I have mine in 3 weeks. It will be open surgery. I'm not over worried about it, just wondering about other people's experiences. Would it help to lose some weight? I am about 93kg and 171 cm tall. (About 14 1/2 stone and 5'8" I think!) Male, aged 68. The hernia followed an infection in the wound after bowel Cancer surgery 11 months ago. Thanks. 

0 likes, 111 replies

111 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Another quick question. I wear an elasticated support belt during the day and have now started to wear it a night as well. I was told that it wasn't necessary as it is reducible but unless I lie on my back all night, it flops around a bit when I turn over etc. It's not uncomfortable with it on at night, in fact I think it is better to wear it. I don't suppose it can do any harm? Hopefully for just the next few weeks. Trying to be positive here. Do any of you wear one and when? Thanks. 
    • Posted

And a quick update. Surgery is now 17th Nov. and a shorter pre op the Friday before. (I've had a four hour pre op for the date which was postponed!) Cutting down on the chocolates and carrot cake now. Thought I would follow the 'low residual diet' I had to do before my recent colonoscopy. Might make things easier on the early recovery days? 
  • Posted

Where is it "Summer", John? I do hope the new date for your op turns out to be correct. I hope your pain has improved, Jennifer. Ask for stronger pain relief if it hasn't. I am anticipating a date for my hernia repair will be soon now, based on my having been to hospital this week for a "pre-op assessment" involving lots of questions, tests to see if I am fit enough and have no MRSA. I have been confused by two opinions from two consultants regarding whether mesh will be used or sutures. Most I have read about states mesh is preferred and the first consultant agreed but the latest said sutures. Cannot think if this is consultant preference or best for me. I have had so many abdominal ops (colectomy, histerectomy, nephroureterectomy, appendectomy to name a few) with many external and internal scars. The second use of my appendix scar has caused the incisional hernia. I am worried how it is going to go but feel I have to take the professional advice from the person who is about to do the op, don't I? 
    • Posted

Yes, I have almost given up reading about the different types of surgery for my hernia and of course still don't understand much. So I will just go along with the experts and hope it all turns out ok. I've had a lot more time to dwell on this op, the bowel cancer surgery a year ago on Thursday was very sudden and rather urgent. In fact I had only 3 hours from being told what was wrong to the theatre. I was lying on the table signing consent forms while they were standing around waiting to start. I'm not too worried about this one, just want it over with.

Summer is around the corner in New Zealand. Perfect day today. 😊 

All the best. 

• Posted

Yes! Pre op (again!) all done and to report to hospital 9 am Monday. I'll believe it as the anaesthetist does his stuff... 
  • Posted

Hope all goes well tomorrow. eek
    • Posted

Thanks Joan. Back home yesterday after 5 days. Will post you an update when I get some energy again. I'm ok, just very tired. 😷
    • Posted

And now it is Sat night here. The only problems have been nausea and vomiting, coughing up phlegm and hiccups. There is quite a strain put on the wound I think when vomiting etc and of course it is painful. But things are calming down today and I wear a belt at all times. BMs began after 3 1/2 days and were windy with very smelly liquid. I had laxatives to get things moving. But that will improve no doubt and I am able to eat better and more as the nausea decreases. (I lost 3 kg in the 5 days. About 6 1/2 lbs I think.

But it's not all bad, as these things will all sort themselves out and I shall feel much more comfortable and mobile in a few weeks. It was described as a major operation and took 2 1/2 hours they said. There is a lot of bruising on my left side over my ribs and down a bit but I don't know how that happened! I'll find out at the follow up on 12 th Dec. 

So, this shouldn't have put you off. I am happy that I had it done. 

Best wishes.

• Posted

Well done to you and glad your op is over and though you are not feeling great you now can progress and get better. I have a date to go in for my op now. It's this coming Friday. Yikes! Suddenly I am thinking maybe my incisional hernia isn't too bad. Maybe I should keep it. The bowel that is protruding retracts when I lie on my back. It only hurts sometimes. It only gets uncomfortable sometimes. Do I really need this? Then I go over the pros as to why I agreed to it.....it will get bigger over time, it could strangulate, pain post operative is worse if left longer, 66 and not getting any younger...... ah well suppose have to go through with it.... Ok. You haven't put me off, John, but it has reminded me that it is serious and what it's like post operative. Agh.... Amazed you were in 5 days.They have told me here it will only be an overnight stay. You keep getting better and let me know how it goes. I'll be a few steps behind you.
    • Posted

Thanks Joan. Just a quick p.s., I could have gone home after two days but the inflammation marker blood test (CRP?) shot up as did things called neutrofils. So I had to wait until they came down. Also a highish temp of 38.2 C. (Gets calculator...) looking forward to reading about your speedy recovery! Catch up when you can? And have a HAPPY WEEK, 😉
    • Posted

And another query. It's now 8 days post op and my bowels are working once or twice a day but not much quantity and quite smelly. A bit runny but not diahhroah. (Thank you spell check.) So, just how long before it's more or less normal. I know everyone is different. I'm not eating big meals. Maybe what's left of my bowel after Cancer surgery, is filling up gradually. The latest op was an incisional hernia repair. Just wondering. Two weeks, two months, etc. thanks. 
    • Posted

Hope you're feeling ok now and are back home? Coughing can be a nuisance. I don't have any pain to speak of. The DN comes daily to check the dressing and drain level. I've still got one drain after 2 weeks. They won't remove it until under 50 ml and I am producing about twice that in  day. Best wishes....
  • Posted

How are you now John?  I  have a incisional hernia which has been repaired once,  the pain I get is agony then it goes away for a while then comes again.  The pain makes me feel sick and doubled up.  I went to the doctor and she sent me for a scan which I went for a month later,  he said looks like a hernia with bowel content go back to your doctor in a week.  I went to the doctors who said what it was again.  I said how long will it take for a operation she said a long while on the N.H.S.  We decided to pay for private care,  I went today for consultation he said hernia, and now said I can go to N.H.S for a CT scan. or pay even more for a private one. The doctor told me about the operation with the mesh, but never said when he could do it or anything just go for this C.T. scan.  Noone seems to realise how much hernias hurt. l am going on Friday for the C.T.scan  and have to have a injection and have a big drink of something.  I dont know why I am having to have this.  I hope it leads to a operation.  I feel bad spending our savings on this but it does restrict your life, when I am out and the pain comes I just double up and need to sit or lie down, not easy if you are with friends.  Does anyone know why you have the C.T.scan after having the other scan? It all seems to just drag on and on.  Thanks for listening to me.
    • Posted

Hi Isobel. I hope you get some answers from the experts and/or people on this forum who have been through similar problems. Yes, I had to wait for quite a while to get the surgery at the public hospital and there were a few postponements as well, which were frustrating. I wasn't having the pain you are having though.

My second and last drain was removed this morning. It just seemed to stop draining, but there was a fair bit of leakage when the tube came out and the nurse thought it could have blocked. But at least it's out and I am left with a large dressing until tomorrow when it will be checked. It's great to be able to walk around without any tubes etc! 

All the best. It will be sorted for you eventually...

• Posted

Hi .john1315

Thanks for the reply. Glad you are feeling better. Medical things are all a big mystery aren't they? You never know what you are letting yourself in for! Forums like this are a big help and comfort. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.