Incisional hernia and corset wearing in bed.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have an incisional hernia following bowel cancer surgery and a wound infection 9 months ago. The hernia will be repaired later this year I hope and in the meantime I am wearing an elastic corset or an adjustable one during the day. This helps, but I am considering wearing it to bed as well because the bulge can be uncomfortable when turning etc. Any advice about this? There is no pain from the hernia. I am a 68 year old male, about 14 1/2 stone and 5'9" tall. 

Thanks. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I to have large incisional hernia. I had a reconstruction following surgery for breast cancer. Due to hospital infection (MRSA) I had several operations with Teflon mesh put in to support my abdominal wall. Twelve years later the Teflon mesh became infected and had to be removed. This resulted in two more operations due to infection . I now have no abdominal wall and wear a surgical corset all the time. Unlike you I have been told that surgery cannot be performed to repair the hernias due to recurring infection and would only result in more operations. I hope your surgery to repair your hernia is very successful and wish you good health.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Mary. I hope to have another chat with my consultant before the surgery. He said last time that I would wear a Reansays (sp) machine which probably is to minimise the infection risk. I had one before but that was after the infection had set in. Quite a nasty hole near my navel but it healed up nicely. At the moment I think I will go ahead with the surgery and hope for the best result. If it is ok for 12 years I shall be 80, so .........? We shall see! Thanks again. 
  • Posted

Hi John, I came out of hospital today after an operation for a large incisional hernia,The hernia was the result of a perforated appendix with massive sepsis and a wound that leaked for 6 weeks, the bulge measured about 30cm by 15cm as my bowel had come through the badly damaged muscle wall. The surgeon said it was very difficult as I had a lot of adhessions and lesions caused by the sepsis 18 months ago. however the mesh is now in place after an operation on tuesday 26. pain is being controlled by volteral (diclofenac), tuesday night and wednesday I had phentinol and then on wednesday I had surpositries of voleteral which worked really well now I am on the oral medication. so far so good , yes It is very sore and hurts if I move arround a lot . It was a big and long operation so it will take time to heal. I take homeopathic remedies to support me and do breething  excersises to keep my lungs clear and speed recovery, plenty of water, good quality nutrition etc, Good luck when you have the op.
    • Posted

Hi frognrose. I'm seeing the bowel cancer consultant tomorrow and am sure she will be able to advise me, as well as hopefully telling me that the cancer is under control! Well, they removed it all and lymph nodes ok and no spreading. So far so good. I've slept in the corset a few nights and must say it makes turning around and getting on my feet more comfortable. Best of luck for your recovery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.