incisional hernia breathing problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a bowel operation in Novenber for adhestions , a few weeks ago i got a herinia from it, I have a really bad cough which doesnt help, although thats easeing off a bit,still worse at night, its been three weeks and now i feel really chesty if i lay down even propped up with pilows, i have just started antibiotics, but this morning i got so out of breath and shaky after eating breakfast im begining to wonder if my hernia which is high up is affecting my lungs ??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh Sue I hope that you can get this squared away. Just keep talking with your doctor about how you feel. I have a lot of adhesions and scar tissue from a previous 2005 surgery so I am quite concerned about even getting my mesh removed but I know it's the safest thing to do for my longterm health. Good luck.

• Posted

hi linda  thank you for responding,why are you wanting your mesh removed ? isn't this standard hernia procedure ? as i am worried left untreated this could become a strangulated hernia , is there another method of fixing hernias  sue

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I need it removed because I am having allergic reactions to the mesh and would NOT EVER recommend anyone getting a mesh implant of any kind. Yes they can repair a hernia by suturing it closed as they have done for years. Don't get talked into having a mesh implant by a doctor because they tel you it's the best or only option. Get another doctor or opinion. I have been living in hell since I had this put in me. Not worth it! Go to Facebook under MESH PROBLEMS and see how many people are affected by this junk. Keep me posted!!

• Posted

ok thank you, i am very sensitive to a lot of subtances i will try and see what else to ask for it must be differcult if they say take it or leave itm
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

Strangulated hernias can happen so you definitely want your hernia treated IF it is large enough and worth treating. My husband's sister has had a herina for 15 years and no problems but it is small. Mine was very small and actually could have gone on just watching it but like yourself, I was nervous about strangulation. As far as repairs any GOOD doctor will be able to go in and do a suture repair on most hernias. They most definitely do not need to use that awful mesh! If you are allergic to many things, as I am, then you keep looking for a doctor to repair it the old fashioned way. Tell them you want it done laparoscopically if they can and use sutures to close the hernia. Then you won't be going through what so many of us are dealing with...pain, bloating (mesh belly) and tons of other issues that can arise from mesh implants. Good luck Sue and I just hope my doctor doesn't tear my insides apart when he tries to remove my mesh. Very worried about that. Take care and let me know what you decide to do.

• Posted

A lot of people do feel like it affects there lungs mine was really bad I sometimes l felt like I couldn't breath my hernia slipped all the was up into my chest it horrible 

• Posted

l  have been back to the GP as she needed to weigh me and fill out a question page my BMP index is 26 so just in the over weight mark, but it wound not take much to loss a few pounds, so really  the ball has only just started rolling, she asked me if I would like to be refured to my original bowel surgeon ? how do i find a good nhs surgeon who has good results with incisinal hernias ?? can any one recommend one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.