Incisional Hernia Operation

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had my incisional hernia opeartion, 3 weeks ago. It occuried from an appendix operation I had 4 years ago and had been waiting 2 years for the hernia operation.

The operation was done via keyhole surgery with 10 puncture wounds which inserted a mesh 20 x 25cm. I was in hospital 2 days.

Three weeks on and I am still in agony, cannot bend over, can only sleep on my back I am walking hunched over which is putting strain on my back, constant tiredness (maybe the cocodamol) and I am getting really fed up with the constant pain, was told I would be fine in 2-3 weeks.

Has anyone else suffered this constant pain and will it eventually pass.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Had incisional hernia surgery 2 weeks ago. Still alot of pain, especially on one side. Feels like my insides are pulling and the sutures feel very tight. Hurts to get and outof bed , when will this feel better ? 
  • Posted

Hi. I had mesh repair for hernia following bowel resection which became infected. I was in agony straight away and severely bruised inside. A few hours after nurse removed clips the wound burst open flooding the bathroom with bood. Rushed to A& E. The wound was squeezed and packed for the next 13 weeks then as it healed and stopped discharging I had an infection for 4 weeks. I'm still in a deal of pain and seeing surgoen 2/4/15 hoping he will have some answers. I hope no one else has to endure the experience I've had. Hope your pain has settled. Good luck Tony
  • Posted

Hi I had my incisional hernia by keyhole surgery one week ago and I have terrible bruising all around my back and waist. The pain is isolated to the lowest incision but all the incisions seem to be lumpy and very painful.

will the pain recede? Where can I get some form of strapping to give a little support or do I need to discuss with my GP first?

Thanks any suggestions welcome. I have been using cold compress.

• Posted

Hi all, found this site really helpful and like all of you I am looking for some hope in my road to recovery. Had my incisional hernia repair last week after my hysterctomy 6 months ago. I have been wearing an abdominal binder for the last 5 months unaware I had a hernia, just worn it for comfort. I am in so my discomfort now and so bloated that my binder is too uncomfotable to wear now. I am so scared of causing myself any further damage so avoiding any lifting or too much work, I am walking stooped over and if I am on my feet for more than a few minutes its agony, is this normal? Any advice would really help me 
  • Posted

Hi! My doctor said I hv a incisional hernia but I didn't see any bulge.. maybe the defect still small, doctor said less than 1 cm and ask me keep in view, no need operation first. I wonder how long it will take to become more than 2 cm? My doctor suggest operation once the defect open up to 2 cm. Thanks

• Posted

Hi selphie. I can't add much except that as far as I know, they don't get better and/or go away. Mine started as a small bulge and ended up really large. I think they waited too long before operating, but unless I paid for it, I just had to wait. I did have insurance a few years ago, but the premiums kept increasing as I got older. Better to reduce them as older people need the cover more? I had been paying them for years, including when I was overseas for a few years and couldn't have used it anyway. But I'm digressing - best of luck and I hope you don't have to wait too long.

• Posted

Thanks John! Yesterday my incisional hernia (belly) on off pain but not very pain. I wonder izzit i stand too much? Or laugh too much? Or strain too much this few days... too much Xmas party, so eat oso much... hehe? I now age 31... mayb i juz wait till my next review on march 2017, see the defect already open how big n doctor say wat... or mayb i should go review 1 month 1 time? Any suggestion? N i wish nth happen~ I need go traveling on May 2017 XD
    • Posted

Yep, coughing, laughing, sneezing, etc could all make it worse? I'm not a Dr but know that after my surgery those things were a worry. Eating too much...hmm. My Dr just said to keep an eye on it. If you think it's getting a problem then ask for an earlier review maybe. Have you thought of using an abdominal binder? I wear mine every day even two years after surgery. Good luck and Happy Christmas. 

• Posted

Ic ic~ Will try to control it. Doctor did say can wear but less help... so i didnt buy. Doc juz said dont over active (Hv black history in hospital.. Faint in toilet after too active walking around hospital + straining in toilet XD), don't lift any heavy things and gym... I will try arrange a review next month after my 3 months PPI control medicine finish. Hehe! Merry Christmas to u too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.