Incisional Hernia waiting fooperation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

i have spent some time reading online and there is so little patient advice from other people that are either going through this or have been through it.

So in December 2019 I went to the GP as I was swollen and feeling uncomfortable thinking maybe a water infection as kept getting pain in my lower back and my right side where you would expect appendix related pain (my hernia is more left sided)

GP says no water infection checked my swollen stomach and said no that is a hernia.

Referred straight to consulatant who I saw end of Feb.

By that point I was even more uncomfortable. Advised I would be added to the waiting list. I told him we had a holiday booked mid Jly and his answer was you will be recovered by then.

Im now at the point where only exercise I can do is walking and if to far or too adventerous Im left very uncomfortable.

I get back pain lower

Still pain on my right side especially when I need to urinate.

I am constipated regularly this is something I have never suffered from

I am constantly feeling bloated like Im very pregnant

I can feel movement inside almost like when you are pregnant

When Im stood up it looks so big I am overweight last weighed at hospital 101kgs but have lost 12lbs at home since. That I find hard due to lack of exercise.

I am working as do 7am - 2pm and have a sit down job.

When I am sat its not too uncomfortable but when I stand its really uncomfortable and Im saying uncomfortable Im not in agony (3 children no pain relief)

I am getting to point that I feel very sickly and Im debating asking if I can work from home due to toilet and been uncomfortable. I feel like a right moaner.

I have a great husband and kids who are making the work load at home easier.

Due to Covid no surgery bar emergency is going ahead, I can not even pay to go private as they also are not doing surgery

Any advice or help to make things any easier

Consultant said CT showed opening of 6cms so would be open surgery advised I will be in hospital 2 / 3 nights and surgery will take 4 hours plus that all seemed alot to me.

And 2 surgeons will do it.

large incisional hernia is what it says

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi vicky I know what you are going through ,a few years I got a incisional hernia after a emergency

bowel operation, I had it fixed ( I have a lot about my surgery on this forum) mine was big and they put mesh to fix it ,. sadly its happen again I went to see my GP for a referral , but covid kicked off so I am in limbo. mine has got bigger due to a cough I had. I work on a check out I have elasticated all my work trousers that helps a bit , I eat lots of veg and fruit to stop getting constipated and try and get exercise by walking. I feel very tired all the time , it is hard but I really don't want a op yet. I hope you get seen soon keep in touch on here when you hear anything and good luck Sue

• Posted

Thank you Sue

Yes its not pleasant and mine has also got larger. I thought loosing weight would help but makes me look even worse.

im so embarrased I felt so sick at work yesterday and uncomfortable it seems to be getting worse. I also feel like I have a nasty taste and smell about me.

My Husband has 100% assured me that I do not so Im not sure what I can smell and taste.

Ive bought a stomach support its like a very tight bandage just to see f that gives any comfort.

I feel so horrible in clothes.

I just want to get it sorted.

Im not looking forward to the long surgery. 4+ hours seems a long time and 2 surgeons he didnt really say exactly what they would be doing bar repairing it and it would be mesh and open surgery and I would be sore.

How long was your recovery. I ave worded work up and told them to expect betweem 4 and 8 weeks me been home recovering. Is that likely to be correct?

Kind Regards

Vicky

• Posted

mine was a long recovery . they opened up the very long scar from my bowl op which was just under my breast bone down to my pelvis . yours maybe different . what surgery did you have to cause your hernia

• Posted

great I Vicky if you click on ,my profile and keep scrolling past my broken shoulder posts yes I broke my shoulder as i was recovering after the op lol , you will see my posts about my surgery , it isn't great so I am really not in a hurry to get this surgery. like I said yours maybe different

• Posted

Sue

did you have much pain whilst waiting fir surgery im ok when laying down.

but walking or much more than that is very uncomfortable and when i wake up i feel like ive done about 500 sit up like it is all hard and toght with a feeling of burning and a stitch i also feel quite sick

thank you

• Posted

I haven't visited this forum for so long, but I have today, to get some info on shoulder surgery. It's the end of July, and here in Connecticut, USA, hospitals are once again starting to do elective surgeries, and other invasive procedures, on a limited basis. I suggest you keep asking. As they say, "It's the squeeky wheel that gets the oil" It's good that you have a helpful family. Good Luck with your procedure.

• Posted

Hi, hope you've had your op and feel good now.

I'm now on a NHS waiting list to repair a incisional hernia, too. It was caused by a major abdominal surgery two years ago.

NHS has been very 'relaxed' about it as it is not life threatening, as you know. I have put up with the symptoms you mentioned and, unluckily, I can sit on normal chairs. I'm sitting a footstool now. The hernia is the size of a fist at the moment and it has grown fast.

I'll appreciate very much if you could share your experiences of the surgery. Has it solved the problem completely? Are you feeling OK with the mesh? Was it easy to recover from the op?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.