Income based ESA runs out in July. What can I do to keep claiming?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My job adviser and the DWP have both told me my income-based ESA claim will run out in July 2018. But when I ask my job adviser what to do she says "I don't know." She even showed me on her computer thing, that my claim will expire on July 2018. However, all these things on gov.uk tell you there is no time limit on income related ESA. Then I ring the DWP again and ask them, and they tell me my capability for work assessment period won't run out until 2020. I'm booked in to see my job adviser again in August, which will be after my claim expires. Now I really don't know what to do. Has anyone been in this situation? Are they messing me around? If you can advise me, please leave feedback. All welcome. Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Your adviser really has no idea what they're talking about! An Income based ESA claim will never run out! You will continue to be paid until you're re-assessed because they can't just stop it unless you've been found fit for work. You can't be found fit for work without a re-assessment. So, relax your money will continue and when the time comes for the re-assessment you'll be sent another ESA50 form from the assessment providers.

• Posted

As you have a job adviser then i'm guessing you're in the WRAG. Are you 100% sure it's Income Related you're claiming and not Contribution Based? Do you live with a partner that works? The reason i'm asking is that so many people get confused by both types of ESA and Contribution Based ESA WRAG is time limited to 1 year.

• Posted

Yes I am in WRAG. I had contribution based for a year, but then I went onto income based. When I changed over from contribution based, they didn't tell me it would flip over automatically. They told me I needed to fill in a form, then no you don't, then you need a form, then no you don't. Then I ended up with 5 forms in the mail! I still have them! Then when I got my remote assessment when I needed it, they didn't even tell me I'd been assessed and I had to stay up late searching on the internet, found a number for the assessment people, called them directly, and spoke to a very posh gentleman who assured me I'd already been assessed and everything would go smoothly, which it has done until now. Grrrrrr!

• Posted

I have no idea what you mean be remote assessment? I've not heard of the before. What happens when a claimant is re-assessed for ESA is the assessment providers automatically send you the ESA50 form, you fill it in and return it, with all your evidence. They will then decide if a face 2 face assessment is needed or whether they can do a paper based assessment, where no face 2 face is needed.

In your case as you are claiming Income Related then as i stated before there's no time limits to this and you'll continue to be paid until you're sent the ESA50 from and re-assessed. The person you spoke to clearly has no idea what they're talking about. Doesn't really surprise me with some people from DWP. Mostly they have no idea what they're talking about because they're just sat there reading from a screen. Their knowledge is terrible........sometimes you'll ring and speak to someone really helpful, sadly this doesn't happen very often.

Relax for now at least because your ESA most definitely won't stop in July.

• Posted

My first assessment in 2013 was face to face. But my most recent one was paper based. I think it was 2016 but I don't remember. Silly old brain!

• Posted

Some people do have a paper based assessment for ESA, i did for my last review. The most important thing for you now, is that your ESA will not stop in July.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.