Income Support.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if there is still a benefit which is income support.  My partner used to be paid this along with his carers allowance.  When he sold his house & informed the DWP the income support was stopped because he had the money from the sale of his house. Now he no longer has this money so can he apply for income support again. He has tried to find out if income support is still available but unable to find any information.  He is wondering if income support has been changed & called something else.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Yes it's still Income Support providing he still claims Carers Allowance.

    • Posted

      Just realised that when he was receiving Income Support & Carers Allowance he lived alone.  Now he is living with me & we are classed as a couple so I don't think he will qualify for Income Support now.

    • Posted

      It would depend if you work or not. If you don't work then you can claim Income Support as a couple. If you work then he wouldn't be able to claim it.

  • Posted

    He might need to prove what he spent the money on from the sale of the house, before they will pay him anything.
    • Posted

      He will be able to prove what he has spent the money on from the sale of the house.  He has had to live off it for the last 6 years as all he has had is the Carers Allowance.
    • Posted

      Then there wont be a problem, I was made redundant in the June,( was going self employed)  paid my daughters wedding off of it, ( I am a loan parent) just getting my business set up in the September, when I fell and smashed my ankle, ( I already had COPD & athritis) so was put onto ESA.... they refused to give me rent/council tax rebate as they didn't accept that I had paid for my daughters wedding ( even though I sent receipts, or that I had bought my dads old car from him, but with that I did prove by sending a letter that stated our names on the log book!) The wedding was classed as a 'gift' so was counted as 'savings' even though I sent in all bank statements! result was I had to pay full rent/council tax. which used up the money I had put aside for funeral expenses as I dont have insurance. So IF/WHEN I die, my daughter will either need to pay it OR the state! sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.