Income support

Posted , 4 users are following.

I currently get income support and ever since i fell pregnant with my son (3yrs ago) ive been having togo to see a work coach every 6months i feel like they are trying to force me back into work and the fact that on my sons 5th birthday my claim will stop which i dont feel is fair but also the fact they know i have alot of medical problems which have got alot worse to the point i cant even take my own kids to school anymore or even go out at all by my self and if i do go anywhere someone has to come pick me up and drive me about . I was just wondering if it would be worth coming off income support and go onto something else and if so what would it be that i would need to claim for?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Toni07149

I am in the same boat you have to claim ESA

But I'd like going for a Medical like pip their do not have a clue what they are doing

• Posted

Thats the problem aswell with esa id have to close my income support claim before i could even try and get esa which measn in the mean time not only would i lose what id normally get from income support but also my sick payments on top as no one claim carers for me
    • Posted

What your better doing is when you get payed

Then phone up you should get it sorted in 2 weeks

• Posted

Sick payments? do you mean the premiums on top of Income Support? So you claim DLA/PIP?
    • Posted

Yeah just couldnt remember what it was called and yes i get pip
  • Posted

ESA would be the benefit to claim if you're unable to work but you'll need a fit/sick note from your GP. To make a claim you'll need to ring ESA but make sure your GP is willing to give you sick notes. You'll be sent an ESA50 form which is huge and very very long to fill in and return along with any evidence that will prove you're unfit to do ANY type of work. Evidence can be anything from GP letter, consultant reports, Occupational Therapist reports, letter/dairy from yourself. Assessment phase is for at least 13 weeks then you'll most likely be asked to attend a face 2 face assessment. Waiting lists for these are often huge and some people are waiting months and months. Your best bet would be to google ESA assessment this will give you some idea of what it's all about. If you're found unfit for work then you'll be placed in one of the groups WRAG or Support Group. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

• Posted

My doctors pretty good she hasnt lit me down once if it wasnt for her i wouldnt of even got pip. Thank you i'll have a look into that before i do anything

• Posted

So you claim PIP, which means you'll get the premiums on top of the ESA. It shouldn't take long to set a claim up to be honest. The worst part like i said would be the lengthy form but CAB are great at helping to fill these out. The evidence you used for you PIP claim will be great for the ESA claim too.

• Posted

Tbh with you all the evidence i gave to pip was my perception to show all the different medications im on my dr filled them in with the rest. But i guess id have to give more than that to esa
    • Posted

Yes you'll need more evidence. They often don't contact anyone in your list of DR's etc, if they do then it's extremely rare.  PIP and ESA are completely different benefits. With ESA they will look to see if you're capable of doing any type of work and the criteria is different to that of PIP too. You can google ESA criteria and a list of the points scoring system will come up.

• Posted

You say your son is 3 so you have about 2 years left on Income Support? To be honest you maybe better off staying on that for now and then decide what to do further down the line. Going for appointments every 6 months isn't too bad. With ESA if you're found "fit for work" then you'll be forced to claim JSA, which would mean weekly Job Centre visits. You can of course ask for a MR then Appeal if the decision isn't in your favour, but you wouldn't be able to go back onto ESA until your Appeal has been logged with the Tribunal. Long and very stressful process.

• Posted

It definitely wont be an issue given more evidence just a pain finding all the paperwork, Cheers ill have a look at that aswell before i speak to my doctor to see if shell do thefit/sick notes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.