income support advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

so few years back I got taken to court as I was being accused of commenting fraud which wasn't the case and it was proven in court I had done nothing wrong. I suffer with anxiety and depression and due to this hole court case it made me very unwell to point I self harmed anyways point is I was in no fit sate to argue the fact they are saying I still owe them money from the period they accused me of commenting fraud and are taking it out of my benefit payment still, its taking a long time for me to feel okay to be able to deal with this but I found out recently housing benefit child tax credits never even got told i was found innocent so I have now supplied them with the letter from my solicitor which they are now happy to relook at it all and sort it out even through it has been quite some time since the court case as I explained about my mental health problems and how it all affected me and pay me back all money owed once its been sorted the problem is income support just keep passing me from pillar to post  being told debit management are the only ones that can change it yet I spoke to them and they clearly stated they cant as it isn't there money they are recovering it on behalf of income support  finely spoke to someone useful yesterday and I sent in a copy of the letter to them aswell as they didn't have it iver to get a phone call this morning yet again telling me its debit managements job to sort it when it isn't . what can I do to get this sorted as they are still taking money off me every week and I have about 4yrs worth of payments already made which I shouldn't of been paying back to them.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi chick it seems like you have been pushed from pillow to post. I suggest you get your solicitor to give them a call and get them to tell them in no uncertain terms that you will be taking the matter further if they keep messing you around that should do the trick, Fingers crossed hope you get it sorted X
  • Posted

HI,

I agree with Michelle here and speak to your solicitor about it. You say it's been a few years? Is there any reason why you've only just decide to find out why you're still re-paying this debt back?

If you don't get any joy with a solictitor then maybe speak to your local CAB. Sorry i don't have anymore advice for you.

• Posted

only reason I'm doing it now is because I'm finely mentally stable enough todo so without having another break down as ive got help when it causes me to much stress but I just don't want to rely on someone todo everything for me so I'm trying my best todo it by myself

• Posted

Sounds logical. Hope you get it sorted and can finally put it all behind you. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Tony I think its good advice you have been given to contact your solicitor and it is debt management who are responsible for taking it and paying it back, I know because my friend did commit a minor offence and was taken to court but by then she had already paid it back but they started deductions straight the way and although it wasn't a massive amount we got it back for her with difficulty LOL did you get a copy of the court judgement, you should have as you will need that as proof not just a letter from your solicitor.

• Posted

the only thing I got was the letter from the solicitor as I was meant to go back for trail but they decided there wasn't any everdance to prove what they were saying so I didn't have to go back and I was acquitted of all charges agent me 

• Posted

Your solicitor or you would still have been given official paperwork from courts, I'm a little surprised that DWP took you to court without sound evidence, they don't normally, did you have interview under caution

• Posted

Yeah I did and I have all that paper work aswell from the interview

Reason it went to court is because they through I dishonestly claimed and got given nearly 10,000 over payment because of some spiteful person lies but with all prof I had to prove my innocents I was found not guilty . After the case all I got given was a letter stating not to tend court and no action will be taken agents me

• Posted

Not knowing your full details I can tell you now that the DWP may still feel you have had an overpayment on your account and just because they could make a fraud case stand they can still collect the overpayment from you.

Ring DWP and ask if they are continuing to take deductions because they believe you owe them outstanding amounts, you are within your rights to ask for a statement of payments and reasons for the payments and how much is still owing if anything

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.