Income support or ESA

Posted , 5 users are following.

Dear all, could you kindly inform which benefit would be better off in all terms from ESA WRAG or income support for my wife. I am on PIP for ongoing period. I am also on esa wrag but wife is asking that if she apply for income support as a carer then it would be good in any sense or not.

My esa will be reviewed in December 2017. Or I should try to get into support group.

I spoke to income support helpline and the adviser told I should close my esa claim and it would be easy but my question is if income support is not awarded how can I go back on esa wrag with same money under 12 weeks linking rule. How many times a year we can link esa claims?

Any advise really appreciated.

Much thanks

Mr I singh

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry inder I'm not up on those benefits really, are you asking if your wife can claim care allowance

• Posted

Thanks Alexandria, no she is getting carers allowance. But she can also claim income support. I want to know if I stop my ESA and she claims IS which is better for us.

Thanks

• Posted

The only reason Income Support would not be awarded is if your wife works, which would mean your household income would be too high to claim an Income Related benefit. Is your wife on your claim for ESA? If she doesn't work then you should be claiming ESA as a couple. If you want to know which you'd be better off on then you're better off either doing an online benefit check or ringing your local CAB office where they can do a benefit check for you. Sorry i can't be of anymore help.

• Posted

Hi denise i spoke to you a few months ago asking if there was an end date to esa support group and was to yes there is.

Ive been on a website called yourable this morning and a man mentioned he had spoke to dwp to ask if his support group claim would end.

He has been told by dwp there is no end date for esa support group although there is for wrag.

So it looks like things have changed since you last spoke to me. Just thought i would tell you as you have always given good advice before xx

• Posted

I believe you've asked this question before. As i have no idea of your persoannal circumstances i can't really help you. I advice previously to have a benefit check and my advice is still the same. Really sorry i can't help on this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.