Incomplete Evacuation

Posted , 2 users are following.

Incomplete Evacuation

Things started back in May 2019 when I had an explosive bowel movement. straight after i felt a pain in my rectum on the left side which has been there almost constantly ever since.

I've had numerous trips to the Docs and have tried everything from Anusol, strong prescribed version of Anusol, Fibrogel, something that numbs the inside, rectogesic ointment and now

Glycerol suppository & Movicol.

The Doc sent me to see a bowel surgeon who sent me for a CT scan which diagnosed a dilated rectum. As I was getting pain he did a Colonoscopy which came back clear.

After a few more trips to Docs I was referred back to surgeon who diagnosed a fissure but said it was healing up so should be OK and put me on Movicol. After 4 days on Movicol I was going 4-5

times a day and stopped taking it.

From using the rectogesic ointment I noticed as I applied it with my finger that I could feel poo in my rectum which I think is the cause of my pain and discomfort. I go regularly and seem to

do enough but within an hour I can feel irritation from more poo sat in my rectum. This is my main cause of concern and feel that if I could rectify this then all would be good.

Any advice welcome

Regards

Tom

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tom

I too have exactly the same but mine has been going on a lot longer i have been passed from doctor to doctor i have now gone to one of the top colorectal in london and he suspects decending rectal mucosa that is causing incomplete evacuation and when stool is stuck its causing pain and irritation he has completed some tests and I am awaiting the results.. my pain is easier if i get a day I dont need to evacuate

• Posted

Thanks Karen,

I know what you mean about not going, I seem to be going 3-4 times a day at the moment even though I'm trying with stopping all treatments and try and get back to normal. I have wondered if it could be Levator Ani syndrome causing the muscle to spasm and not empty the rectom properly? In turn maybe this could be psychological?

• Posted

yes levator Ani syndrome can cause the symptoms too but i deffinatly have a physical bulge higher up in rectum trapping my stool. hope you get some answers and help

• Posted

I feel for you Karen and I hope you get sorted very soon, sounds awful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.