Incontinence after HOLEP

Posted , 10 users are following.

Does any one has information, how frequent is inconitinence after HOLEP procedure vs GL and doesn anyone experience it.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello  Just look up some information for you.  They were both trails   The first one I looked up was Holep.  Inconitinence is as high as 44% in the men that they did in the trail.  On Green Light it is a little lower 35% but as you know both cause retro ejaculation and other sexaul problem    Also with the GL  it also had 1 to 5% loss of the sphincteric muscle used to control urination. I don't know what problems you are having but look into some less invasive procedures like PAE Urolift and REZUM  Have a good day  Ken 

• Posted

Hi Vitaly,

I had HOLEP surgery in August 2015. I was told not to worry about incontinence, but when my internal cathether was removed 6 days after surgery, I was completely incontinent. My doctor told me to do Kegel exercises which I did, religiously. The incontinence gradually cleared up, over a four month period. During the four months, I started out with an external catheter, then moved to adult diapers, then pads, as I increasingly regained control. I have no idea how common or uncommon my experience was, but don't let anyone tell you it doesn't happen. It does.

Matt

• Posted

Huh! I have no memory of my surgeon mentining possible incontinence when I had it done a couple of years ago.

Fortunately, I have not experienced this - so far? I am not aware of any difference in controlling urine flow complared with previously.

• Posted

I had a HoLEP a year ago and incontinence was a minor issue which was fully resolved within a week or so.  I had been carrying out the Kegal exercises for almost two months prior to the procedure and continued with them following the procedure. I believe these exercises were responsible for my experiencing limited incontinence. Incidentally, my catheter was removed less that 6 hours following the procedure.
  • Posted

Hi. I don't whether anyone keeps statistics on this. I effectively had no incontinence after my HoLep 3 years ago apart from a very occasional small spurt if I sat a certain way. That stopped after a couple of months and was never a problem.

• Posted

Hi Vitaly. My partner who is 65 had HOLEP surgery on Saturday and was discharged from hospital on the Sunday. Prior to surgery he had been self cathing for 4 months due to an enlarged prostate that was stopping him peeing at all.

?On the day following the surgery my partner reported that he had very little time (seconds) between getting the urge to go, and actually starting to pee. However 2 days following the procedure he is much more in control and is able to comfortabley make it to the loo in time (probably several minutes). The urologist who did the procedure told him that it would take a couple of months for his bladder to regain total control but this could be helped very much by my partner exercising his pelvic floor muscles in the next few weeks.

?He is NOT incontinent, but obviously 3 days post HOLEP we are not venturing far from a loo in the immediate vicinity. He reports that the end of his penis does sting a little on starting to pee, but that this is uncomfortable for a couple of seconds and then stops. I am amazed at how well he is post procedure - and for that matter so is he! We spent a great deal of time trying to look at what procedure was best for him, but he wasn't willing to undergo PAE - as he deemed it too new!

?At this early stage he is very happy with how he is and how he is peeing. Our urologist was very experiencedin HOLEP and urolift and a lovely man! Not often said of urologists in general! So at this very early stage its a thumbs up for HOLEP!

Hope this helps!

Dee

• Posted

Thank you very much, that really elps , how is he now, is all issues with incontinence resolved, and does he have stress incontience maning if he is lifting something heavy?
  • Posted

My laser surgery was done on June 29 2016 my surgeon's choice was Thulium hence ThuLEP virtually same as HoLEP. I too was told that after the procedure I would have some "leakage" which I did. I started with "Depends" for about a month then to pads for about a month and now almost leak free. I don't wear a pad and urinate as I should with a strong stream ( actually it is unbeleavable after years of slow stream with the constant fear of a trip to th ER). By the way, my sex life is fantastic with very powerful (dry) orgasims. Please research Green Light as I am pretty sure not near as effective as HoLEP.

• Posted

My uro who did my HoLep said Green Light was of more use for averagely enlarged prostates. Looking at the web it requires a bit less time and skill?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.