incontinence and CS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone else has periods of \"leaking\" when asleep, as I have.?

It doesnt happen all the time but sometimes in the night it is quite bad.

I dont know if this is connected to my CS or is there some other reason.

Grateful for any comments

Tony

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya Tony, smile

How're you doin?

In reply to your question, I have a problem in as much as I can't 'hang on' to go to the loo gotta go asap. It is not unheard of to have bladder and bowel problems with cs, might be an idea to have your urine tested for infection etc. Just to be on the safe side.

Take Care

Em smile

• Posted

Hi,

I also experience having to rush, after sleep or a nap, especially. I believe it's common with long term c/s. Could be due to years of painkillers etc. But' I've never had an accident. You should ask your doc about the meds you're using and, as suggested, have a test for infection.

• Posted

hello everyone, i have to say you do seem to come up with some very good questions, i have a slight continence problem but just put it down to my age, i have apparently just started with ibs, but it makes you wonder, i did ask my doc if there could be any connection but as usual, was fobbed off, i do go to him with the question most of us ask but all to no avail.does it make anyone else wonder if we are thought of as hypochondriacs.
  • Posted

Hi Chris,

That's definitely one of the Big Issues. We could easily dedicate a few pages to that one!

I suppose we'd all like to indulge in a little blind optimism here and say \" no, we are not seen as hypos\". My own take on this is....if I didn't have c/s and was unfamiliar with the symptoms ( as 99.9% of the population are ), how would I relate to someone describing it to me ? We assess other peoples illnesses by trying to imagine, from our own limited experience of pain/aches etc., what it might be like to have these symptoms ourselves.

I know, from my own experience, how difficult it was to accept that I would be perpetually vulnerable to an exotic cocktail of aches/pains, so I expect it to be doubly difficult for someone with no comparable experience. This being the case ( I've watched too many courtroom dramas!), then it's easy to see that labelling us as \"hypos\" might well become the easiest option for them. Human Nature provides it's own defence mechanisms for dealing with insurmountable problems of understanding.

We're always going to encounter this aspect and we should be prepared to tackle it, without getting upset about our integrity being challenged. It's a tricky one!...and I'm sure it will get the flood of responses it deserves.

Gerry

• Posted

thanks gerry, i have to say i am sick to the back teeth(my mums favourite saying), of having problems and not being sure wether or not i should ask the doc. common sense tells me that anything that branches off the spine could be down to cs, but my doc puts me off all the time. my latest problem is my shoulders, i am told that it is a frozen shoulder, i had an operation on my left one about 15months ago. now they both hurt so much and for days i cant move, it doesnt help that i have a very low pain threshold. but both of them hurting, what are the chances. now i have had a gripe i am off to down a nice cold glass of wine.
  • Posted

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about the shoulders. You'll understand that I can't give advice directly, I don't really know the circumstances . That's for the doctors. However, I can say what I did for my frozen shoulder. I had it 3 times, but never both shoulders at once and I think I learned some ways of making it more bearable. Most important was to ensure my sleeping environment was free of draughts. You can tell if there's a draught by holding a lighted candle round abouts where your head would lie on the bed and if the flame isn't vertical ...theres a draught. I sealed off any source of draught and moved the bed and I could feel the difference after a nights sleep. First time I had it I slept in an armchair for 3 weeks. ...couldn't lie down. However, frozen shoulder will last for 10/12 months. It's usually not so much a problem after first 2 months (just a lingering ache) and disappears totally. The only treatment I've heard of for it is steroid injections into shoulder, but I've also heard this can be painful itself and doesn't always relieve pain. I haven't heard of an op for it, but there may well be one. Ultimately, it is self resolving and doesn't need invasive treatment. Hope this is helpful in some way.

Gerry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.