Incontinence and diabetes

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. The question I have is how many people out there suffer from diabetes and have become incontinent? My worst problem is at night but I know I am lucky as I got in contact with my local continence service. After a few years taking different meds it was decided that they didn't work so I was given Euron Form pads but now it is getting worse and I have total loss both day and nights but I still only get 1 pad a day(24hr period) so I have to buy my own to supplement what I get. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Join the club!  I know exactly what you mean as I have been "dribbling" at night for a long time.  I don't seem to do it during the day but at night I suppose it's due to muscles relaxing.  I have started to put a panty liner in my pyjamas otherwise I have to change them every night.   I haven't been to see anyone about it, I just put up with it.  I've had Type 2 diabetes for 19 years but I haven't had this particular problem for that long, perhaps a year or so.   As long a it doesn't get any worse I will just carry on as I am.

I am assuming you get all your medication etc. free which I do as I am on tablets and insulin but sometimes I buy things like testing sticks for my meter that I keep in my handbag as opposed to the one I was given by the surgery which is different.  I also buy sharps bins when needed and, if I had to, I would buy the pads as well.  Of course, it depends on what your financial cirumstances are whether you buy them for yourself.  It would be interesting to now if other diabetics are incontinent as well.

• Posted

Yes I get all my meds free and my pants. I buy my own pants because the NHS ones rustle way too much when I go out. I also have type 2 diabetes but my levels are constantly @ 20-35.0 even with both insulin and tablets. Doesn't help I have neuropathy in both my hands and feet. I am glad I am not the only one out there as it makes for a lonely life guess it's easier if you already in a relationship as they know you but explaining that you incontinent is really hard. 
  • Posted

Hi Richtanman,

So sorry to hear your problem, I too had 'morning incontinence' after a foot accident, I broke the foot and was laid up for weeks, during this time I developed incontinence (only when arising) at no other time. As I've had a Pelvic Floor Suspension done, (a mesh suspension that holds the bladder up and connected to the spine) about 18yrs ago this should not be happening. After visits to local doctor and onto Gynocologist it was confirmed that the mesh is still in place and that the walls of the bladder are weak, no kegle excercises help me, so I can not get the muscles tightened, I am 75 so it isn't easy. However, we have a health system in Australia whereby they give us a quanity of pads each year, delivered to our door. I'm wondering if where you live they have some such service. Maybe if you ring your Health Department or ask your local doctors who should know. If you are young maybe a pelvic floor operation may be the remed. Remember, using these pads all the time you need to be very careful of getting an infection because rubbing on the skin can cause infection.

If you can I'd be visiting your doctor and have them assist and advise you on the best road to take. All the best.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for your advice I get adult nappies for the night incontinence I feel belittled wearing them but it helps I guess(dry mattress) the incontinence nurse gave me male pads for going out but they don't hold if I am too far from a loo so rearly go out that's why I bought different products myself. By the way I live in uk. Our health service is pretty much hit and miss depending on where you live(my view). I am also sorry to hear of your predicament and hope you keep your chin up. 
  • Posted

I have been having this problem for some years now. It gets worse during during night. I also avoid going to parties now because of this problem. The only solution to this is using adult diapers, I use them regularly. I get them online from Age Comfort. They have many different varieties of adult diapers in the site from which you can select the one suitable for you.
  • Posted

I am both incontinent and enuretic due to my diabetes. I get some pads via the continence service. I have to top up by buying my own as required.
  • Posted

Yes I have recently being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and I have also started having a weak bladder due to it.  I have got in touch with my doctor and nurse about the condition so I have to wear nappies all the time now
    • Posted

The continence nurse told me she sees lots of diabetics.
  • Posted

I have been a diabetic for several yrs type 2.I started wetting bed and myself and now must wear diapers.I also have prostate problem and have to take meds which relax the bladder and causes more wetting.
  • Posted

Hi  i've tried the men's diapers and pads and they feel bulky and uncomfortable can you suggest something for me I've tried using the poise pad in the daytime not too bad i'm using them for two months because of a bladder infection

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.