Incontinence: could this be IBS?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am a 28-y-o with 2 kids and I have been suffering from urinary incontinence for a little while, investigations so far are pointing towards pelvic floor damage.

Until recently I had no bowel problems, but I've recently started getting sudden urges to pass stool and I'm often (average once per day) not managing to hold on till I get to the loo. Sometimes it's loose stool but often it's just normal, not diarrhoea - I just can't hold on for long enough. Typically I'll be in the middle of something and suddenly need to go, crampy stomach pain, and if there's not a loo within about 30 secs walking distance I've had it.

Could this be IBS? Or something different? I know I should go back to the doctor but I feel so ashamed and embarrassed.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This is so weird I was about to start a conversation about the urine Incontinence. I have pi ibs but I suffer from daily diahroer sometimes 3 times sometimes 9 times depends on the day or what I have eaten. I am 31 and have no children but dribbling pee all day it's gross. So you are not alone with that. It sounds very much like ibs so you have a lot of mucus? It's such a lovely illness which surprises you as soon as you get to grips with it xx

• Posted

Yes, the two conditions can co-exist.  Do a net search using terms Urge Incontinence and IBS.  There is not a lot of medical research I could find but you may find more by digging and/or asking your doc.

Yes, you should go back to see the doc.  That's what they are for (to treat you) and I don't think there is anything you can tell or show a doc that they haven't already seen, so being embarrassed or ashamed because of something  you have no control over and possibly something that can be treated, is just causing you more stress.  If it is IBS, the additional stress will make it worse.  Kegals may be the beginning of an answer for you especially with pelvic floor damage.  Certain exercises help pelvic floor damage as well.  There is also the possibility that certain types of food or drink can cause either or both of the problems.  Get a copy of the low FODMAP diet off the net.

I suggest you visit the doc again.  Is there no medication for urinary incontinence?

• Posted

Yes I get the same. Got Ton worse with age but not had kids doubt be other reason in my case.
  • Posted

Fecal and urinary incontinence are NOT IBS symptoms. The urge to go is very normal, but actual incontinence is not. You need to see your Dr again and get tests done to see what the problem is. Urinary incontinence is often a pelvic floor issue, especially after childbirth, but fecal incontinence is not normal.
  • Posted

Incontinence can come about after pregnancy and can weaken your pelvic floor muscles as well as your bowel and bladder sphincter. It is a very common problem and nothing to be ashamed of.  Seeing your doctor again will help to identify the cause and once you find out what it is, you will get relief of symptoms with treatment and will help allievate any anxiety about the incontinence. If medical investigations are pointing to pelvic floor problems, concentrate on this explanation first.  This and other causes will need to be ruled out first before considering IBS. My mum had a weak bladder wall after having me and my brother and she was successfully treated for this with bladder exercises and a special machine which helped tighten her muscles up.
  • Posted

Please refer the link https://www.healthlibrary.in/6-reasons-why-youre-pooping-a-whole-lot-more-than-usual/
  • Posted

Thank you, everyone, for the replies.

I know that urinary incontinence is not an IBS symptom - mine is caused by weak pelvic floor after childbirth and I've had investigations for it. I've been doing the Kegels exercises as directed and I'm noticing a little improvement.

The bowel incontinence is something new. Sometimes I get a little stomach discomfort, sometimes just the urge to go. A couple of times a week it's diarrhoea-like, but sometimes I get it just with normal stool. The problem is that I'll just get the urge very suddenly and I can't "keep it in". I try really hard to, but it's like my muscles don't work and I keep having accidents. I'm so worried and I just don't know WHAT to do.

• Posted

Definitely go see your gp. Fecal incontinence is not normal and needs investigating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.