Incontinence following prostate surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

my dad is 62 years old, he found out 15 weeks ago that he had prostate cancer. He is still working, hes very active and still plays a lot of football and goes to circuit training. When hes not doing those things hes constantly doing things round the house. He had his robotic surgery to remove his prostate gland three weeks ago today. 

​Hes getting so low about the incontinence side of the recovery, i know its only early day and it can take up to 12 months for this to improve. Anyone have any experience they can share?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

HI gbaz, three weeks is really early. Tell dad to keep doing his kegal exercises, it's really important. My husband was 62 when he had the same surgery. He was dry at night at four weeks post op and stopped using the pads by four months but kept forgetting to do his exercises. He occasionally has stress incontinence now his almost 10 months post surgery. Get dad in touch with local incontinence service. They will provide reassurance and also order better pads than the hospital do. X

• Posted

I've just tried out a catheter I hadn't seen before. It's made by Coloplast and is a condom-like attachment to the penis which you fit yourself and can be left on for up to 24 hours at a time. It's much more comfortable than indwelling catheters I've had fitted by a nurse. There's also a neat bag that wraps round the thigh so it can be worn in warm weather with knee-length shorts without being too obvious to others. Otherwise a longer tube can be provided which enables a larger bag to be strapped to the leg below the knee as with indwelling types of catheter. I think it's called a Conveen Urisheath. 

• Posted

I had surgery last year, aged 50 and regaining full continence in 3 months. Some take less time, some take 12 months, and some never regain it.

A good tip is to drink nothing after say 7pm. This will ensure he stays dry at night.

Any stress eg laughing or sport will result in leaking. So try to minimise both.

If he wears pads, get him to talk a spare with him when he goes out daily.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. 3 months seems to be the norm? Did you feel like you were never going to regain continence at one stage?

Glad all is improving for you!

• Posted

no.  i think blogs like this helps when you see how others have recovered
    • Posted

The shock of no bladder control following surgery is a shock to the system. But I lawsys knew that 90-95% of folk regain continence in 12 mths or less. So at the 3 mth mark I was very happy to have regained it but was prepared if it was to take longer.

Nobody should assume by a certain time all will be the same as before. We are all different and heal differently.

• Posted

If your dad has returned to such high activity after only 3 weeks post op, my hat is tipped to him.  Regarding the incontinence it seems that the 3 MONTH time period seems to be normal to regain full control though many active on this blog have experienced control sooner and some later.  For myself, I am 4 months post op and still wear a pad, but I only experience minimal leaking with more control as time passes.  I am 67 and from diagnosis to surgery was also about 3 months.

Tell your dad to remain patient, all of this frustration will soon be behind him.

• Posted

Sorry, I don't think I explained that properly!! He was this active prior to his surgery. He's only just managing a short walk at the moment but he says he doesn't feel the need to go to the toilet, its just leaking. Was this the case for you too? I have read that the 3 month time frame seems to be the norm too. I'm glad your symptoms are improving. Are you retired? He goes to see his consultant on Tuesday and I'm hoping he can have some questions answered.

• Posted

Yes, we are both retired.  Oh yes, we still have leaking issues.  Hopefully this cancer can be put in remission and maybe the leaking will stop.  Good luck with your upcoming visit.
  • Posted

Hi,  I'm not Anthony, I'm his wife Gladys.  I'm truly sorry about your Dad.  It will get easier if you keep praying yourself.  I am in a position right now where I could cry all day but I don't because I can't.  Because if I did, I'd die myself and that is not what my Lord wants and I've got lots of babies to take care of. I've got 8 inside cats, yo' many outside cats, a dog and yes, a Partridge in a pear tree.  If you don't keep your "humor up" it's only going to get harder.  Trust God not the doctors.  And yes, God likes humor...Anthony is currently under the best care of the Phoenix Cancer Center. They've given us HOPE.  So if your insurance will do it, go for it!!  He was at a 49 PSA in 2012.  PCP said when you get a chance go see a urologist.  Husband said no, I hate doctors.  So here we sit waiting for radiation.  If you truly love your Dad and I know you do because you wouldn't be here PLEASE call the CCTC of Phoenix.  They're online.  I have had enough tears myself.

• Posted

maybe if your husband saw the urologist 5 yrs ago and put faith as you call it into the drs hands less dependance on the lord would be neccessary now
    • Posted

Be nice.

You have aimed that comment to the wrong people anyway.

• Posted

my apologies.  did not mean to come across as not nice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.