Incontinence or retention ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

For months I had frequent urination and leaking.When I was in the hospital another reason a large amount of urine was removed by catheter. Since i have been doing regular CIC I do not have urgency or leaking. No more diapers!!!

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Educate me. What's CIC ? I'm guessing catheter insertion something, but I don't know. Glad to hear this worked for you though.

• Posted

It stands for "clean intermittent catheter." A small gauge (e.g. 14 Fr.) single use catheter is used to empty bladder completely, as needed.

• Posted

Thank you glenn77. I'm very glad for donald16398 and appreciate both of you sharing information.

• Posted

Thank you for this post. Sounds like something I should ask my Renal doctor or urologist about. The leaky diapers and overloaded bed pads are getting old fast!

I had a recent hospitalization for acute kidney failure due to retention. After about ten days with catheter kidneys have recovered but I've been left incontinent after removal of the catheter. Still suffering a degree of retention.

• Posted

Maybe condom catheter can help. I am using Conveen brand (Coloplast).

• Posted

Claude,

I will second the suggestion that you consider a condom catheter with a leg bag. I was highly incontinent until I had an artificial urinary sphincter implanted. After suffering with 8 to 10 Depend changes per day, I went to the condom catheter and bag and it was a big improvement for me. I used this bag, as it had better straps and a soft silicone tube you can cut to length with scissors.

HOL9645EACH

ProductHollister - Vented Urinary Drainage Leg Bag with Straps and Tube (Lever Style Valve)

I changed the bags on a monthly basis. At night, I removed the bag and catheter, flushed the bag and hung it up. I used Depends as sleeping on my back allow me to get through the night with no change. Before putting on the condom, I used a skin prep.

Glenn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.