Incontinence pads

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 57 and had LS for ooh I'm not sure, maybe 6 years now. I know some people here have considered the possibility of inherited  LS. Well just today my 76 year old mum told me she was experiencing problems down below. I won't go into detail but she'd been examined by her doctor, told everything was very dry and prescribed betnovate twice a day for a week and a barrier cream as she's experiencing a lot of discomfort on urinating. Well keeping things as brief as I can I was of course alerted! She may or may not have LS but nevertheless I was able to give her lots of practical advice. Where I came unstuck was when she mentioned wearing incontinence pads. My first comment was 'don't' but she says she only wears them when going out. Now I know there have been threads on here about sanitary ware and I didn't really pay attention as I'm post menopause and it wasn't relevant to me. But has anyone any advice re incontinence pads bearing in mind mum kind of needs them to avoid embarrassment when out but that I feel they are irritating her discomfort currently. That is my main question. The inheritance thing HAS been re kindled in my mind but bearing in mind I started early 50's and in a few years have lost all my labia minora and my clitoris whilst mum at 76 has just begun some discomfort.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I haven't experienced this situation (yet) but I'd suggest she go for all-cotton ones.

Also, maybe suggest she start doing Kegel exercises, and eventually she might not have to wear pads at all!  (try googling "kegel exercises" if you need help with this.)

• Posted

Good point Andrea and thanks for replying. I have indeed suggested such exercises already and believe the doctor has too. But I know she'll continue to buy pads and as I'm aware that the content of sanitary ware was discussed here and how much of an irritant it could be I wondered if anyone could help similarly with the content of incontinence pads as I didn't pay attention at the time. You you say all cotton but aren't they usually papery?
    • Posted

Yes....

But they're bleach-free, etc.

Claire's looks like the better option. smile

• Posted

Not sure what product you mean that's all. If cotton then they're a fabric rather than disposable paper? I'm not aware, ignorant really. It's why I'm asking.
    • Posted

I didn't mean it that way, Chrissy. I bought cotton pads years ago, and all I remember is they were preferable to ordinary ones - no bleach, for one thing. But I'm saving Claire's answer in case I ever need the darn things.
    • Posted

Having just looked up gill's Veeda suggestion I think this must be the kind of thing you were thinking of Andrea. So I finally get it! Sorry to be so thick!
  • Posted

Hi there,

Natracare do bleach free/plastic/dyes etc incontinence pads. I use the ST and they don't cause any irriation. XX

• Posted

The larger Boots stores stock VEEDA cotton liners which are cotton, bleach free etc.  A urologist can advise on all aspects of incontinence and don't be embarrassed as they have seen it all.  As for LS this forum is a mine of information.
    • Posted

Thanks for that product info too, very much indeed. I'm assuming she must have had some discussion with her doctor about the incontinence as part of the general problems she consulted about. I don't think she is embarrassed particularly. She was certainly examined this time and as it happens she is a very nice older lady doctor. I will certainly continue asking mum how it's going and see if it needs taking further in my unfortunately experienced opinion.
  • Posted

Maybe she could use a barrier cream when she goes out wearing a pad in case urine against the skin irritates her. A standard nappy cream should do the job. There are all sorts from over the counter at a chemist, to organic ones at health food shops, depending on your budget and world view.
    • Posted

Yeah thanks I said to her to use plenty of the barrier cream that the doctor is providing anyway if she must use her pads, for that very reason. Though presumably these things must be designed to keep the urine away from skin for ANYones sake not just us delicate LS sufferers. But a sensible precaution I agree.
    • Posted

The incontinence pads do keep the area dry but your Mum will still need to change the pad immediately after any leakage or it will irritate. This is the same with any type of protection. Using  a barrier cream is necessary too.
    • Posted

Yes of course. Thank you. Just trying to find the best ones out there that's all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.