Increase in blood pressure with Warfarin

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 40yo male, reasonably healthy apart that I've had a DVT in my left arm at the end of January. This is my second DVT, after a similar one in May 2015.

We tried Apixaban, but had to discontinue due to a mild reaction. So now on Warfarin for 2.5 months (and presumably for life). I take either 8 or 9mg each day, and my INR has been stable in 2.5-3.0 for about a month now.

Now, since I started warfarin, I've almost every day a 'heavy head' and difficulty to concentrate.

I've noticed that my 'normal' blood pressure (with exercise or stress) has increased. I used to have a systolic (max) arount 100-110 and dyastolic (min) around 60-70. Now I'm typically in 120-130 and 80-90. These figures point to slight pre-hypertension, and I'm getting worried about it, as it makes me feel unwell all the time, and on occasions I gives me a really bad headache.

Has anyone else felt an increase in blood pressure when on warfarin? I talked to my GP and he dismissed it, arguing that people with hypertension tend to improve when on warfarin. But I've never been anywhere close to hypertension, so that is not applicable to me!

Thanks for your feedback!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you having trouble with warfarin, Jordi.  I, too, reacted badly to Apixaban and was put on warfarin.  I take 9.5 mg a day.  I don't think high blood pressure is a recorded side effect of warfarin and your present systolic and diastolic results are very good - pretty low really and nothing to worry about.  Could the headache be put down to stressing about this?

• Posted

H, i am having problems having been changed from warfarin to apixaban. Is it easy to change back?

can you also tell me what you found by way of the side effects

• Posted

hi there, I am also having reaction to apixaban and want to try warfarin. I had it before. I think it makes me tired and down. What other effects did you have?
    • Posted

Hi ann, sorry for the late reply, I haven't been able to login lately. I didn't feel tired when on warfarin. My main problem was the anxiety of keeping track of what I'm eating and drinking, never being sure of my INR level. I went to spend some days in Spain and, keeping my diet very similar to that in UK, my INR shoot up to 3.9 (my range being 2.0-3.0). Once back to UK, I've been moved to Dabigatran (Pradaxa), which is much simpler regarding food and drinks, and doesn't need so much monitoring. So far, mostly ok, apart from some upset stomach sometimes. Hope this helps :-)

• Posted

Thanks for reply. I am back to the old warfarin now. I have stomach issues so I guess dabigatran is no use either. Stuck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.