Increase in Dosage - Escitalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello and thank you to everyone.  I have been on 10 mg escitalopram for 4 months.  I went through a horrendous side effect period for one month when I started back in June, 2017 but the medicine then worked well.  I started to feel normal again.  In the past month or so, I have felt low again and the suggestion from the doctor is increase to 15 mg.  I cannot stomach the possibility of experiencing the same side effects as when i originally started.  Can anyone please offer some suggestions or comments for those who have increased their dosage and what they experienced.  I would be most grateful. Thank you and God bless all of us and we slowly try to get better together.  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure I have any advice as I'm struggling on this drug too.

Had terrible side effects for 3 months and then felt better but not great.. it stopped the anxiety but my head feels dizzy and I can't remember things..like did I take my tablet ??.. I'm on 10 mg too. I was suppose to start at 20 mg and so glad I decided to try half that first.. I tried cutting it down a bit to help with the dizziness but then got anxiety back again so am back on 10 mg .. have been on it about 9 months now and the last 2-3 weeks have been having trouble with my stomach. Constipation has been an ongoing problem but it suddenly changed and my stomach is burning and feels off..I go for a CAT scan on it Tuesday to see if anything shows up but I'm sure it's the drug...I had a similar problem several years ago with Aropax ..had to change then and every thing settled down .

I've stuck with this drug as it is suppose to have the least amount of side effects..weight gain is one I get from others. Was really hoping this one would work but am doubtful now..also, the thought of going through another round of side effects is too much to bear.

I can only suggest that you in crease very slowly if you do..I chip bits off my tablet when I cut back to try and avoid side effects and have done the same to increase it. Try I few mg at a time for at least a week and then add another few mg..takes some skills with a knife but better than suffering lol.

Thank you for posting...good to know we share thoughts.

• Posted

Hello Gina. Thank you for your feedback. Today is the 1st day I cut a 5mg. tablet in half and took it with my standard 10mg. for a total of 12.5mg. I think 15 is too much for now. I will trust in God. Keep in touch. Thank you again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.