Increase in intrusive thoughts?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been taking Prozac 6 weeks!Week one 5 mg,week two 10 mg,week three 15,week four and five 20 mg now week six 25mg!This week I started getting increased intrusive thoughts and also a buzzing sensation in my lower back!Anyone have this is it normal at this point!?My intrusive thoughts weren't to bothersome before until this week they are more frequent and intense!This buzzing sensation is new too and annoying

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm on week 5 at 40mg and have the intrusive thoughts too. Mine are just like agitated thinking; like a restlessness. I still don't feel back to myself, able to get up and move about with much activity. I still have irrational fears. I'm ready for this to smooth out...One thing I have noticed is that with the addition of a B vitamin, Deplin, I've felt more positive and my mood is better...I'm still fearful and anxious daily but at least I'm able to do a little more than when I started.

• Posted

Do you mind if I ask what kind of intrusive thoughts you are having? I have been taking Prozac for a long time, and still have them - didn't realize until recently, this was an actual thing. Thought I was just weird. I think about jumping off of boats, or bridges, or causing a commotion of some sort ie: heckling a priest at a funeral. Never acted on them; just an annoyance I have lived with for years. Kind of a "what if I did this?" mind game I play with myself.

• Posted

Hi Sara!  I get them too, when they first started and I was really anxious I took myself off to the hospital where they reassured me they are perfectly normal!  They tend to stick around if they bother you a little bit but once you can brush them off as just a thought they go away! X
    • Posted

Thanks chris - That's basically what I do, and the Prozac has helped with that. It's like living with an annoying and rather bratty prankster in my head; the adult "me" just tells it to "take a hike". It's a strange thing though - I don't tell too many people about it.

• Posted

Hi SaraBinks,

I also get intrusive thoughts. No way near as bad as before. I find around the time of my period it gets worst. You are right, when you start to tell yourself the thoughts aren't you and ignore them they become less frequent. Eventually it will go so I've been told.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.