Increase in PSA over 15 months from 3.9 to 6.4

Posted , 12 users are following.

What should I do about this? I don't like the sound of prostate biopsy - suffering from prostatitis the last thing I need is an infection from the biopsy - especially as I react badly to erythromycin

Advice please

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ian sorry to hear about the difficulties we are all connected that way here.

Like many others here who have been around the block would STRONGLY suggest you look for a good 3T MRI of the prostate and have it read by an expert on the PROSTATE not a general radiologist. It gives you and your doctor better information and you should be able to get a referral for it. Why settle for an inferior scan? Each MRI they use contrast and the literature suggests that not all of the contrast leaves the body. So if your 1.5T is not clear enough to be conclusive and you have to go back... more contrast will be introduced. You can insist on the 3T in the first instance.

Not sure of where you are in the UK but if for some reason you are unable to get a referral for 3T it appears that this mob in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53 7AS can schedule one within 7 days for a total cost of 750 pounds and will report within 7 days of the scan. They use the Philips 3.0 Tesla MRI Scanner and can be reached 0333 344 1811.

I don't know anything about them other than they claim to offer the scans with good availability so seems if you look around you may find the higher quality scan and hopefully covered by the health service.

Good luck.

Joe

PS I also had a increasing PSA, suffered a blind biopsy under general anesthesia that caused months of bleeding and we did not learn anything conclusive. Knowing what I know now would only do a guided biopsy based on a 3T MRI targeted site(s). Three months post an FLA procedure PSA has dropped from 5.8 to 2.5 now.

• Posted

prostatitis can significantly raise PsA . it did with me .

prostatitis ( possibly just the bacterial version although im not sure ) can also show up on an Mri scan but only a biopsy can distinguish between Prostatitis and PC. In my case my MRi scan was " supportive of organ contained malignancy" but biopsy confirmed prostatitis .

i only mention this so that you dont panic if Mri suggests Pc

• Posted

As others have suggested: before anything else, have a 3T MRI and reported on by a prostate expert.

• Posted

Thanks to everyone who has been kind enough to respond to me with great advice. I haven't posted for a few days because I'm in a bad place in my head. I did cancel the 1.5T scan on the basis of the overwhelming opinion posted here; I actually have a long awaited NHS appt next Friday - referred by GP back in April, at the NHS hospital they do have a 3T scanner so I'll see what the Consultant has to say next week

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.