Increase leg length post op

Posted , 11 users are following.

Anymore feedback on increase of leg length?  Hoping you are all feeling happier.  Wondering if any of those who were talking about it before would like to comment? I’m 8days post op and can’t stand without bending operated leg, have to lift other an inch to straighten both legs.  Would appreciate reading how things have progressed, thanks, K

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Im 14 weeks post op and still have the 1/4" leg length difference.  Operated leg is longer.  Going back to surgeon tomorrow just to make sure all is ok.  Have some pain that shoots down from hip area all the way to foot whenever I sit in a vehicle and in some chairs.  Not getting better and very uncomfortable.  Just want to feel my normal self again.  Wish I knew how long this will take!!!

• Posted

Hi Kathy

Thank you for your input and sorry to hear you are struggling.

What was the leg length difference to begin with and are you seeing a physio? Best of luck with the surgeon, Kx 

• Posted

I just returned from my chiropractor and he said my legs are the same length for the first time since surgery in May of 2017. This was definitely good news! So, as I understand it, the time is different for everyone. Mine took 15 months to even out. I think having the chiropractic adjustments helped, along with physical therapy. I still go to PT twice a week for nerve damage and foot drop. Hoping that straightens itself out too!
    • Posted

Thanks for this Debina and glad to hear the leg length has balanced out, yay!!! Were you given any indication it would take this length of time?  What was the difference to begin with? May I ask, what do you mean when you say foot drop?

Many thanks, kx

• Posted

Hi, Kate. Initially, my operated leg was about an inch longer. That settled to about a half inch in about 3 months, and slowly made it's way back to even with the other leg. I'm glad to be finally removing the lifts from my shoes.

I was told nothing about leg length discrepancy or the possibility of foot drop prior to surgery.

Foot drop is the result of a cut or damaged nerve. I cannot raise my foot or my toes, so my foot just hangs at a somewhat odd angle unless I wear a brace to hold it in the natural walking position. I had a brace made for over $ 1,000 that was absolutely awful. So, I bought one for $ 33 from Amazon. It does the trick, giving me a balanced and even gait, and I can even bowl with it on. The only thing I can't do is drive, but with continued therapy, I have hope for that, too.

• Posted

Could you tell me please what the brace was you got from Amazon. I don’t think I have drop foot but my foot seems twisted so it’s difficult to walk.  Perhaps a brace may work.
    • Posted

I don't think we're allowed to include links here, so my suggestion would be to search for an AFO (ankle foot orthotic) brace for the affected foot (right or left). The one I like best is a swedish style. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Dear Debina

Thank you for sharing all of this and glad to hear the leg length has balanced out.

Sorry to hear about the nerve damage, my goodness, but brilliant you have sorted it so well and continue to improve.

It would have been helpful to have been warned this might happen wouldn’t it?!

I am just beginning to see an improvement in my leg length.

Best wishes

Kx 

• Posted

I had my op on 30th April and have been left with a leg discrepancy and a sort of twisted foot. Physio thinks it was 4cms but I think it’s more like 2.5 to 3cms but it hasn’t improved. I feel quite disabled and very disappointed. I have had no help from the hospital and bought loads of different types of inserts and boots but it hasn’t been easy and still just wear Crocs.  And that’s what I feel like, an old croc!
    • Posted

Sorry to hear this Laura, are you still seeing the physio regularly?

How are exercises (the ones in the booklet, if nothing else) and walking going?  I find those Nordic walking poles, using the two, helpful, best of luck, Kx 

• Posted

I still try and do the exercises and walk with Nordic Poles. I went to see a physio a few times but I was paying for nothing as he barely touched me, he just told me to do these exercises which I was already doing at home (for free) and would disappear so I stopped going.  I have no problems with new hip thank goodness, it’s just the leg discrepancy which I am hoping will improve over time so I can feel normal again. 
    • Posted

I had a physio like that, she used to hook me up to a Tens machine and then sit and do her paperwork on the computer. I bought my own Tens machine in the end. 
    • Posted

Hi Laura

How about seeing the surgeon again?   Frustrating.

Have you read Debina’s comments?

I’m also making sure I lie down as flat as possible during the day to relax and lengthen out the hips for good half an hour or so.

I think I am beginning to notice a little improvement with my leg length.

Best wishes, Kx 

• Posted

I’m just over 6 weeks post op. Had about 5cm difference (op leg longer) - now about, maybe under 2cm. Have my 6 week review with the consultant tomorrow. Been told it is likely to carry on improving. Hopefully same for you. 
    • Posted

Hi Frances

Thank you and glad to hear your news, and best of luck with continuing improvement and appointment today.  I’ve heard different things about how much we should be walking... May I ask how much you do and do you walk with the Nordic poles?

Thanks again

Kx 

• Posted

Hi Katie - thanks. 

I’m walking without crutches in the house (just in the last 4 days), i can walk about 30 minutes with Nordic poles (but slowly).  I can walk further with crutches - yesterday managed to go shopping with my grown up kids for 1.5 hours but was quite tired by that.  My limiting factor is sciatica in the non op side - reducing though as leg length gets better and the quad in my operated side needs strengthening more. It’s getting there but I have to concentrate on making it work/contract otherwise I limp badly. My physio said it’s better to walk with sticks or crutches than limp. Plus I have poor balance due to a vision defect in one side so prone to falling. 

Hope you are getting on ok. 

• Posted

Good Morning Frances

Great to hear, well done!!

Though sorry to hear about the sciatica, v painful and problem with vision.  Yes def keep using sticks or crutches.  I find the same and must definitely use two crutches around the house but find using the higher poles around the garden helps with the distribution of weight.

And I think I am beginning to see an improvement in leg length so that’s a relief.  Really appreciate your comments and it’s a really good point about not limping but using the aids, building up our strength.

Best wishes

Kx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.