increase of citalopram from 20mg to 40 mg!

Posted , 43 users are following.

I started talking citalapram about 8 weeks ago after suffering with sudden anxiety which started to make me feel depressed. I was such a wreck at the time that I took myself to the docs for help and they suggested a 20mg dosage. I had horrible side effects to start with nausea, dizzyness, lost a stone in weight. Eventually I felt like I was improving but after starting counselling the more I opened up the worse I felt. At week 8 I had a complete meltdown with my husband and dad and declared exactly how I felt! Sad, lonely and like I wanted to give up! So off I went back to the docs to say that I felt like I was back at square one but at least everybody knows how I really feel!!!My doc has increased my dosage to 40mg but OMG I did not expect to feel how I do! I cried almost continuously for 5 days. The nausea is much worse than before and I have started losing weight again.I am just after any words of advice or reassurance that this will get better? I cant cope with anything feeling so ill and I actually think that's why I feel much worse at the moment.Also does anubody know how long the effects of the increase will take to actually work?Thanks x

6 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Emma

I am on week 5 .started on 10 mg then 20 mg after a week then 40 mg after 4 weeks . I have gone back to 30 mg by choice. I still have terrible anxiety and my stomach in knot all the time . I don't cry as much now and slowly starting to feel wee bit better but still not got all my old spark back. Everyone says it can be up to 8 weeks to kick in . I know how you feel

Keep in touch so we can help one another

• Posted

Hi Emma again

Yes I had the nausea and some times do but the doctor gave me tablets to combat that and it helps. I still want to crawl up in a hole at times but think making slow progress so hang in there love as everyone on site has told me it will get better

Xx

• Posted

Hi Girls, there are a lot of people like you, myself been one, check out another forum on here for "Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram" you will see how many folk are experiencing the exact same as you, so u are not alone, but it will get better and it does take time and unfortunately awful side effects before feeling better, but u have already went thru hell so another few weeks should get you there.

Take care and keep in touch it really helps when you know ur not alone in this.

Take care,

Anne

• Posted

Hello Anne

Have looked at that site, yes positive feedback. Yes need to give it another couple weeks I think, at least today dont feel like walking into the sea like I did few weeks ago , took major surgery , house shift to another part of country and no one to talk to as not got job yet due to knee replacement to trigger this off . But I have been so down deep and dark I could not see light and wanted to die .

• Posted

Wendy,

There is light at the end of the tunnel, u have been thru so much, but the only way is up now, you will get there and you are not alone, think positive be strong, join a medical gym via your doctor to strengthen your knee and get to know folk thru this, its usually free.

Remember your more than this and try to relax to help stay calm and do deep belly breathing, it really helps, breathing out for longer than breathing in.

Take care and keep in touch,

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne

Thank you for support, I am so greatful just to be able to talk and have support from some one else .

Xx

• Posted

No problem Wendy,

You know there are so many folk that suffer like you, and so many that don't understand it, I didn't until I started suffer it myself, so don't hesitate to come on here for support and also on the discussion 'Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram? = there are lots of lovely folk on that forum and we are all in the same boat as you, and at different stages of taking Cit. so check it out too. They are all so supportive.

Take care and stay strong,

Anne

• Posted

I have not had any side effects from taking 20 mg of Citalopram. I have so much more energy I'm happy I feel love again and tell my family that I love them and I hug them which I had not done for so long for me this is a miracle drug and I am so blessed. I feel really bad for those who have the side effects and I hope that things get better for you.

• Posted

Hello dianna11457 i was wondering how long you were on cit before you felt good. Thnks
  • Posted

Its sad to hear that so many of us are going through this at the moment. I have woken up feeling a bit better today and the sick feeling hasn't arrived yet! Maybe it won't?

I lay in bed this morning thinking about how I felt this time last week and I feel quite relieved that I had my meltdown and made my feelings of this horrible experience known.

I am starting to realise that I won't feel better overnight and that I need to take it a day at a time. Hopefully I am due a few good days.

Keep in touch everyone x

• Posted

Hi Emma

Please tell me it passed, I know your post was a while ago but I am struggling , increased panic attacks almost daily. After several years ticking along on 20mg. Increase to 30mg 4 wk's ago, tiredness & dizziness fed my anxiety , didn't realise they were side effects, now day 6 of 40mg. Frightened of the panic that's telling me I won't get better and it's going to wear me out. Please tell me this will pass I'm terrified and want to be ME me again for my family. Xxx

• Posted

You may need to lower your dosage back to 20 mg or try another anti-depressant. I take clonazepam 1 mg daily with the citalopram 30 minutes before going to work or I will have a panic attack. My job is extremely stressful as I work in a call center environment.

A friend of mine her husband was taking citalopram and after many years he had to take a different antidepressant

• Posted

I'm hoping it's just early days, day 6, I'll try a bit longer . Fingers crossed xx

• Posted

loz that sounds so awfull, life is full of ups and downs, some times more downs, but you will get there I promise! You just have to stay strong and keep fighting ???? You can do it!!! 

• Posted

How are you feeling now? I’m going through exactly the same thing, I’ve been on 20mg of citalopram for 3 years with no problems then all of a sudden after having a contraception injection all my depression and anxiety comes back. I’m not on day 2 of 40mg and 40mg of propanalol now to control the anxiety. I need to know il get better and be back to my normal self again soon. Can’t handle these feelings anymore 
    • Posted

Things will get better believe me I’ve gone through this stage of citolapram but it does get better just hang in there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.