Increased anxiety with Prozac - please help!

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hi, I started Prozac 12 days ago for OCD and related anxiety etc'. Started gradually at 10mg, increasing every 4 days by another 10mg. Now on 30mg and tomorrow will reach 40mg. In general, my anxiety has increased. Strangely, I feel that each time I increase the dosage I have 1.5 better days and then deteriorate for the other 2.5. I've been prescribed Clonazepam and propanolol to help with the anxiety in the meantime. Last night I took 0.5 mg of Clonazepam and it rarely did anything (in the past that would cool me down very quickly). I also wake up in the middle of the night and immediately need to go to the bathroom as my stomach seems to be working extra fast. Anyone have similar experiences? I understand this is a known side effect but was wondering if and when it will subside? Am in touch with my psychiatrist and hoping it will pass soon and I will feel better. Anyone who can share experience AND encouragement - please do! Should I try to hang in there and ride the side effects? Will it eventually work??

Thank you for your support :-)

3 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I'm here to provide some encouragement to everyone :-) Althought each person's body, mind and soul work differently, I must say that for me it eventually did work well! I ended up taking 40mg Flux, which I have now been taking for about 7 months or so. Believe me, the first 2 months or so were torture, things didn't improve, side effects were difficult and sometimes anxiety even increased, that's the irony of SSRIs sometimes. But eventually, as it happens with SSRIs, it just happens, without even noticing. You start feeling differently, more relaxed, less depressed and so on. It's not 100% (is anything) but it does eventually work. Like everyone here kept saying to me, you must give it time, we must all be patient and try not to think of it each and every day, just go on with life, finding something good in each day and BELIEVING that one day, soon, things will get better. Wishing everyone here much strength and perseverence, the GOOD NEWS is that there is a cure and we can all feel better!!! With love.

• Posted

Hi everyone , I have been taking an antipsychotic for 3 months and have noticed a decrease in anxiety a bit but not overall. I have recently decided to switch to fluoxetine and I'm on it 10 days today .. since I've started it I have SUCH increased thoughts and anxiety .. my thoughts keep coming at me and I am obsessing over everything . It's as though all my fears are coming at me at once .. with this I feel like I have so much energy asweell , so I need to get up and do things but yet have so much fear worry and anxiety ... the psychiatrist gave it to me for anxiety and obsessive thoughts .. I am wondering will fluoxetine work for this and calm me down because I am so far feeling more obsessive and anxious and WORSE than the other medication I was on before and I am afraid it will get out of control... I know it's day ten. But it's going so slow I want to give up ... does anyone have any thing to say 😭

• Posted

I don't see if anyone has responded to you; how are you getting along?

• Posted

hey folks, i was on 5mg of lexapro for 2 years and felt good on it but then had breakthough anxiety and had bad time so went up to 10mg and my god it s chronic im not myself my head is so groggy and my anxiety is plus 100 im currently on day 15 now and still trying to adjust to it, but the increased anxiety is bad anyone know how long adjustments take to happen i heard 2 weeks but now sure my cousin said a week but that seems too good to be though 
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I came across this discussion through a Google search. I am at the beginning stages of recovery and have been taking 20mg of fluoxetine for a little over a week. I feel it has definitely increased my anxiety. It has also made it difficult to sleep through the night. It's so nice and encouraging to read everyone's personal story and the success that everyone has had, because when you're still experiencing it-it doesn't feel like you'll ever feel normal again. I am scared a lot by my thoughts and the anxiety and feel alone. I'm married and have two kids and it's so difficult functioning each day with persistent anxiety. Sometimes I feel like a burden to others, though my husband tried to reassure me I'm not. I'm just so scared and miss feeling normal. I hope it gets better.

• Posted

Oh Sunny 😭 I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. It mirrors exactly how I've been feeling. It will get better ??????

• Posted

Laura, thank you so much for replying. It's a rough ride. I've had a few moments where I haven't felt completely foggy and even ok for a little bit. It's so back and forth. How are you doing?

• Posted

i feel the same. i feel very alone because no one really gets it andvevrryone jyst gors on with their lives without u
  • Posted

How are you doing? I am just starting on 20 mg. Was on 10 mg to get off effexor. I have been sick hope 20 mg helps. It's been 8 weeks on 10 mg. Don't go to far. Just tired any help for nausea appreciated

• Posted

I'm new to this forum. I have been reading very good info on prozac on this forum.  Most Dr's and medical info say it takes about 6 weeks for ssri to work. They are so very wrong.  On this  forum i have found others confirmed the same thing. It takes a lot longer. I have anxiety with obsessive worry thoughts (ocd).  I am 13 weeks in on 40 mg. I have had many  side effects. Hot, nausea, sweats, shakes,nervous, sleepy, can't eat,and  lost weight. Still have some side effects.  Get up at 4 or 5 am and just lay there don't want to do anything,  muscle tensing, anxiety, emotional during stress, and not wanting to eat much. I feel better in evenings - eating. Cravings. And such. I am getting a little better. Three good days then 1 bad day. Something happens then I start worrying again- like will I get better.

It started 1999 when I hurt my back. Dr put me on paxil. Same horrible side effects. 6 months letter all better. Felt  great! 2 006 felt so good decided to stop taking it. Bad idea. Started back on paxil bad side effects 7 months later all better. Came of paxil again 2013. Mistake again. Started zoloft side effects again and went through a tornado 6 - 8 months later all better. As I really wanted off this med I weaned off zoloft WRONG. I'm on Prozac now. I keep telling myself 7 months is my history and I'm only at 3 months in and to stay the course  and don't change med or dose and it will get better. Then my anxiety tells me oh no this isn't working call Dr and do something else. But I know better. I am under a little more stress now.  I need some  positive encouragement that  im doing rt thing and to stay the course. I guess what I'm also  asking is this normal and time line normal.  Its weird that i know it will get better i still feel bad like i will never get better . Sorry for the long story.  And I realize I can never stop taking this med!

Thanks

• Posted

I have been taking fluoxetine for about 33 days and Incan say it is slowly improving. I still have moments and my anxiety is still there in the background but it's not all consuming like it was before. I do believe it will get better for you. Hang in there dear. We are all slowly getting there.

• Posted

Hi all. New here. Found this thread really useful- am on 11th day of Fluoxetine for major depression and anxiety attacks. I have had it once before a few years ago and don’t recall such  horrible time on it. Since I started taking it my depression has worsenses, I’ve ended up singing off sick from work, I shake constantly, can’t sleep  and last night was the worst when I ended up freaking out my daughter (I’m a single parent) who thought I was having a heart attack or stroke and called and ambulance which took me off to hospital. There followed a lengthy wait and several episodes of intense anxiety, returned home in the early hours after being told it’s my anxiety,  exhausted, still can’t skeep, trembling every time I close my eyes my head just fills with  dread I feel like I’m losing my mind. 

I’m pretty intuitive about mental health and have read up quite a bit of medications and process etc but cannot stop freaking out, any reassurance about similar experiences gratefully received. 

sad
    • Posted

Hi Humbug,

Sorry to hear :-( Sometimes physician prescribe an anti-anxiety pill for the first few weeks of taking fluoxetine, as the anxiety can actually increase during this time. Do you have anything to take?

• Posted

So glad I found this. Was on celexa 8weeks was horrid Dr took me off now on Prozac. Felt great 1st week on 10mg then upped to 20mg after a few days bam all anxiety hit me again. I sleep maybe 3 hours ans once I'm up I can't go back to sleep. I have racing thoughts about nothing and don't know if I'm coming or going. Been little over two weeks total on Prozac.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.